ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 535 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
***shameless plug ***

We have closed for the ROP on 2011 and large areas of the country can't even agree on what the 08 says.

Is a 10 year cycle still so bad an idea?
How can you have a model of "input from the field" driving the code language when most of the field doesn't have time to read the last cycle when input to the next cycle is closed? They certainly do not have much experience enforcing it.

Greg Fretwell
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
Greg- Thanks for the info out of the Handbook, I haven't gotten my '08 version yet but I will soon. I do see the sense of having a "Surface grid" around the permanently installed pool be it above ground or in ground. I can see where a person could be standing on the ground and having his hands over the top of the pool and in the water hence a possible difference of potential.

George Little
Cat Servant
I think we've hit on a key factor, but one not recognized by the code.

That is, if an area around the pool is sufficiently inaccessible, or where it is essentially impossible for a person to sit or stand next to the pool, I can see the grid not being necessary.

For example, one of the local hotels has constructed a fake rock wall on one side of their pool, and these concrete 'rocks' - actually almost like stucco applied over styrofoam forms - form a sheer cliff face that no one is likely to ever be able to climb. Another pool I have seen has one side within 2ft. of the fence line, with the space filled with rocks and cacti. In either example, I don't see a grid being either practical or necessary.

H
I realize that the bond grid does not have to be the copper grid anymore. You can use the mesh inside of concrete or the metal attached to the pool if it is connected with stainless steel bolts and nuts. ( No sheet metal screws allowed).

Now the new thing I have been seeing is that people are installing above ground pools two-three feet into the ground. I haven't seen too many of them finished off yet. Don't know if they are using pavers, wood decking or how they are finishing off the area. I guess the area would have to be installed like a in ground pool and follow all of those codes.

L
I would say that the rock wall is a permanent item and the landscaping is not.
Landscaping can easily be removed and that 2' area then becomes a walkway around the pool,which requires the grid.

Cat Servant
Digging a hole to contain an "above ground" pool? There's a lesson in there.

The lesson, I believe, is that the more difficult a code is perceived to be (either to understand or to comply with), or the more expensive (and difficult) it is perceived to be to comply with it, the less the code will be respected. Along with that will be an increased perception of the AHJ as 'the enemy.'

Also, of course, the more creative and energetic will be the efforts made to get around code provisions.

H
John,

Last time I talked to Suzanne, she said that under the '08 code, we will have to make the bonding grid in and around all pools and/or hot tubs whether they are on dirt or not. Unless the 3' around the pool is non conductive, (i.e.wood rubber, etc)the grid would have to go in.

If an above ground (A/G) was all plastic, I think we still need a bonding grid (or ring) around the pool that would go back to the motor.

With the In ground (I/G) pools. I have seen many times where they lay the wire mesh inside the concrete around the pool. The copper grid was only used when there were pavers around the pool. I have also seen a I/G pool with metal fins that were bolted to the pool which stuck out 3' around the pool. As long as they were bolted and stainless steel bolts, they were accepted as the ground grid.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard