ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#187759 07/08/09 09:46 PM
G
GA76JW Offline OP
Can anyone point me in the right direction with the 2008 code? We are installing Hand dryers in the bathrooms at work and I can't seem to find anything in the code pertaining to this specifically.

Is there anything in there I should be aware of?

Thanks for the help.

"If common sense was common, everyone would have it"-not sure, someone here

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Cat Servant
That's an interesting issue.

Most of those dryers are 240v .... which begs the question: to GFI or not?

G
GA76JW Offline OP
My main question comes with the branch circuit aspect of it. My foreman has told us to drop a 12/2 MC cable down to it and this just doesn't feel right, but I still don't see anything relating to it in the code. I've been scanning and looking for the past 1/2 hour or so.

To GFI or not is a good question too. As well as distance from the edge of a sink maybe?

Last edited by GA76JW; 07/08/09 10:29 PM.

Cat Servant
12/2 simply isn't enough. Look at the nameplate; I think you'll find you need at least #10, and you'll want to have that red wire as well as a neutral. After all, some of the new ones have motion sensors, etc in them - so they might need that neutral.

I don't think the NEC specifically addresses the issue; the usual ampacity rules apply.

Since you're using MC, you really want to get it right the first time.

ALSO .. pay special attention to mounting height. Some folks place them so thay can do double duty as hair dryers.

E
I've never encountered these dryers with heat that didn't have a 20A rating on the name plate, but then the only ones that I've worked with have been 120 volts. That being said, a 30 amp circuit would be required using #10.

The "turbo jet" ones that just use high-velocity air are different and a 20 amp circuit will suffice.

GFCI protection? Not that I can tell.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
S
I have not come across any that were beyond 20 amp. I also specify a permanent breaker lock to keep the area clean.

G
GA76JW Offline OP
well right now we are just roughing in the area, so we don't have the actual equipment to reference with. This is the first time I have roughed in a bathroom with hand dryers.

I do want to ask why you think we might need the 10-3 wire though?

M
I've installed or worked on lots of these. I've never seen one that had GFCI protecton nor installed one that way. I can't think of any rule that would require that unless there's a local ordinance. I'm assuming these will be hardwired and not plug connected.

G
I went through my wife's catalogs from her shopping expedition into this area and the dryers seem to range from 1500 to 2300 watts for the conventional ones and 1100 watts for the new "high velocity" green dryers.
If you are going to have 240v dryers I see no reason why 14-2 would not work but 12-2 is the safe bet.

Greg Fretwell
GA:
A quick heads up on this....
Is your facility subject to ADA (American Disability Act) commonly called 'handicapped'. If it is, watch the mounting heights.

John
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard