ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 37 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Without a cut sheet or installation instructions to work with, even roughing in the hand dryers is going to be 'iffy'.

The knockout might be anywhere on the baseplate of the unit. If tile is used as the dryer's mounting surface the problem's will be compounded for sure.
It would be good to ask the supplier of the hand dryer to know the manufacture and model # of the unit. They're website's bound to have the information you need.

If it has to be ADA compliant, then the fan's air outlet must generally be between 38" and 48" above the finished floor.
You may want to check local codes

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
You just center the KO over the hole where the wire comes out and say "that's where it goes" wink

Just be sure they are all the same height.

Greg Fretwell
G
The recomended height range seems to be
32" for kids
36" for handicapped
42" for women's rooms
44" for men's rooms
to the bottom of the dryer.

Greg Fretwell
Cat Servant
Here's probably the most common unit out there. With a nameplate draw of 20 amps, I'd say this guy needs #10 and a 25 amp circuit:

http://www.supplyhero.com/World-Dryer-A-Surface-Mount-Hand-Dryer-115v-White.1694.51046.3.htm

Cat Servant
Click on the 'data sheet' for these units, and you'll see they suggest GFCI protection in 'wet locations:'
http://www.ameraproducts.com/store/p/990-A-Series-Cast-Iron-Automatic-Hand-Dryers.aspx

I admit to being puzzled by the warning not to connect to a circuit greater than 20 amps. This seems to fly in the face of the "80% rule"

Last edited by renosteinke; 07/09/09 09:48 PM.
G
If you use the NEC definition, a bathroom wall is not a wet location. I think this is just "lawyer" speak to give them one more bullet in their gun if they end up in court.
I too am confused with the idea that a 2300w appliance will be OK on a 20a circuit. (125% is 23.95a)

Greg Fretwell
G
The "80% rule" is for continuous 3 hour loads. It doesn't come into play with electric dryers, although I think it should be considered in airports and places where the thing may be running almost continuously with the flow of users.

Ghost307
I agree with ghost.

There's nothing in either 422.10 or 422.62 that requires the hand dryer to have either 125% conductors or a 125% overcurrent, except for continuous loads over 3 hrs.

In fact, the installation instructions seem to prohibit this.

G
You are right. I got caught up in that 125% thing without remembering that was C&P.

Greg Fretwell
L
With all the energy codes coming into play now days you will be seeing fewer and fewer hand driers with heaters in them. Using ones with motion sensors and just forced air operate more efficiently. This helps in the overall energy rating of the building.
Verify the mounting height with the local inspector that enforces ada.
Read the literature as to GFCI protection.
I am waiting on an EC to give me the literature for some hand driers in a school. They want me to require GFCI protection and said it's in the paperwork. (They want the extra $$ as there is about 25 or so in the building) I told them I need to read the literature first. I should have that one Monday.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard