ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 526 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
MWBC was standard in commercial work for ages and still very common but there are still too many guys who just don't pay attention when installing the OC protection. the biggest issue has been damaged grounded circuit conductors (neutrals) typically we always installed the breakers adjacent to each other and labelled the neutral with the circuit numbers. I just don't see this as much and more often than not I am seeing more 2 wire home runs. I suppose harmonic troubles are a huge factor but even that is becoming a smaller problem as the electronics improve their power supplies. IE the power supplied don't dump as much harmonic distortion onto the system.
In the CEC the AFCI device was never even contemplated as we were focused on the installed wiring and not what is plugged into it. Here it is just breakers and so far just for bedroom circuits. If my home panel was big enough I'd install AFCI breakers in all but the kitchen and appliance circuits. Unfortunately my home panel uses all narrow breakers and I don't even have enough space to change the bedroom circuits to AFCI breakers. Why do breakers cost so much more than an outlet that provides the same protection? I don't know as a thermal/magnetic trip breaker in a residential panel is around $10.00 retail. I can't see how the electronics add another $50.00 to the cost.

mikesh #187771 07/09/09 03:23 AM
J
jay8 Offline OP
The reason I brought the two pole AFCI to attention is primarily for retrofit applications. Consider the residence with a multiwire branch circuit that feeds bedrooms and other spaces.

New construction is a different story.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard