ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
Some Pictures From My Apartment

lukemon2

[Linked Image from electrical-photos.com]

[Linked Image from electrical-photos.com]

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Crikey Dick!,
You mean that that neutral has never been connected from day one?

BTW, I dare anyone to try and get another cable through that top cable entry. grin

L
the building was built in the 1950's and the wires are not copper

Luke McCoy The NEC Crazy Boy
L
Originally Posted by Trumpy
Crikey Dick!,
You mean that that neutral has never been connected from day one?

BTW, I dare anyone to try and get another cable through that top cable entry. grin

no it was tucked under all the other

L
ohh the wire sticking out thats the ground from all the plugs and switches etc... even though they are not connected at the wall boxes. go figure.

E
Actually, being that this is sub panel, it isn't entirely done incorrectly. If what you are saying is what I understand, all of the equipment grounds are twisted together with the SER cable's grounding conductor. It was very common in the 60's to place them all together under one single lug that was bolted to the side of the panel. Of course, this was also before they realized that copper and aluminum don't mix well.

Now what appears to be more recently-added circuits having their EGC connected to the neutral bar is obviously handyman work. I also don't like what appears to be SEU cable used for the range circuit with the bare concentric neutral connected to the neutral bar. That cable should never have been used, although it appears to be original.

Of course the fact that what appears to be most of the branch circuit cables exiting the top through a single connector is also classic 1960's work. I wouldn't go as far to say that it is dangerous, but certainly not something that would fly these days.

I don't think that this is 1950's work because GE didn't make panels that would support the type THQP (skinny) breakers on the right until much later. I'd venture to say that this panel design is indicative of 1970's design. Of course, the panel could have been changed out at some point along the way.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
L
What I don't understand is how the tandem skinny breakers are spaced that each half of the breaker is spanning different legs. Doesn't that mean that the cover will have a half of each slot not occupied?

Larry C

L
correct its wide open for the air to cool it down lol and its a genneral electric box they are paired with a bar hope you know what i mean if not just ask and i will try to explain

W
I date the box mid to late 70s. 1 GE skinny breaker used, 2 branch ckt wiring copper ( al was mostly used 71-74) 3 Al feeder, during the late 70s AL was still used for feeders and big ckts due to the high cost of CU. Due to the fire problems, AL was not used much for branch ckt. 4 The large feeder looks like is has the gray fabric cover, early 80s PVC had replace fabric cover on most all cable.

M
Maybe it's just my computer monitor, but it looks like there is a TREMENDOUS amount of paint overspray in there. If so, what kind of shape are the breaker busses in?

Mike (mamills)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard