ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
RE potential issue of zip-tying Low Voltage control wire to the power conductor conduit for an AC unit, I take it back.

It appears under NEC2005 section 300.11(2)(B)((2) it is adressed as being OK.

Yet, I still wonder about the control wire being zip-tied to the refrigeration line set as meeting code.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
The general consensus is that it is OK to strap the thermo cable to the refrigerant lines around here, at least that is what I see most of the time. They assemble the whole thing on the ground and fish it through the attic as an assembly.

Greg Fretwell
B
Originally Posted by Tom
Offhand, I don't know of any NEC requirement for the Class 2 conductors for the outside unit to be sunlight resistant if exposed, nor I am I aware of a requirement for a wet location listing. Can anyone post a code reference?

Would 310.8(D) "Locations exposed to direct sunlight" apply? 310.1 Scope doesn't seem to provide an exclusion for Class 2 or any other type of conductor, it seems to be all inclusive.

(NEC2005 reference)

Last edited by BullDog; 06/24/09 05:33 PM. Reason: Typo
Tom Offline
You're right about having a whole separate thread.

300.11(B)(2) doesn't say anything about indoors or outdoors, the practice is permitted in either location if it meets the requirements of this section. Usually, the only place I see class 2 wiring properly secured is when it is tied to the flex at the outside unit, the rest of the cable is just laying on the ceiling panels, draped across trusses, conduits, pipes, etc.

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
B
Originally Posted by Tom
You're right about having a whole separate thread.

300.11(B)(2) doesn't say anything about indoors or outdoors, the practice is permitted in either location if it meets the requirements of this section. Usually, the only place I see class 2 wiring properly secured is when it is tied to the flex at the outside unit, the rest of the cable is just laying on the ceiling panels, draped across trusses, conduits, pipes, etc.

Still wondering, do you think the aspects of 310.8(D) "Locations exposed to direct sunlight" apply to the low voltage control wire strapped to the exterior conduit?

G
I have looked around and I don't see any thermostat cable around here that isn't "sunlight resistant" but we may have a few guys like George who asked the question years ago.
Once it is the consensus of most AHJs, that will be the only thing the supply houses stock.

Greg Fretwell
B
Originally Posted by gfretwell
I have looked around and I don't see any thermostat cable around here that isn't "sunlight resistant" but we may have a few guys like George who asked the question years ago.
Once it is the consensus of most AHJs, that will be the only thing the supply houses stock.

Yet, around here, more often than not the "Armaflex type" insulation on the suction line is dry rotted and reduced to black dust after not too many years in the sun (insulation more or less missing). I wonder if at some point UV / sun tolerant insulation or insulation covering is a mechanical code issue, or certainly a voluntary material Spec issue?

(sorry for the side-track, but it is all one system)

G
I think that has been addressed here in Florida too. I know they don't seem to use the foam rubber type Armaflex anymore. It is more like the material in a swim noodle and does hold up a lot better.
The Armaflex is really just to keep the low side line from sweating in the house anyway from what I hear but it is not my trade either.

Greg Fretwell
B
I thought the following picture is amusing:

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_meter

[Linked Image from upload.wikimedia.org]

Tom Offline
Originally Posted by BullDog
[

Still wondering, do you think the aspects of 310.8(D) "Locations exposed to direct sunlight" apply to the low voltage control wire strapped to the exterior conduit?

IMO, since there is no specific requirement for sunlight resistance that applies to low voltage cables, the practice should be allowed. 310 does not apply to low voltage cables, otherwise, the cables would have a lot more info marked on them and we would also know what type of insulation the conductors have.

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard