ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#187156 06/15/09 10:35 PM
S
I have a "rewire" I am starting on tomorrow. I have to go and check the house out first and try to get rid of any obtrusive critters like snakes, black widows, etc... The house is in the country, and not far from a river. I was expecting to encounter snakes, but now after talking to the homeowner, even more.. The house has been uninhabited for quiet a while I think, and I found out today that the crawl space consist of a "trap door" through the back porch flooring. She said I would have to lower myself down into a past "wine cellar" then after a bit, do the "crawling". She said no one has been down there in 15 to 20 years. Any idea what might be my first plan of action to get rid of any varmits that might be waiting on me?? I guess I will get me a can of "bug bomb" to start out with, and a whole lot of noise, but I'm not sure the "bug bomb" will work on the snakes. Any ideas will be appreciated. Life is rough sometimes but somebody's got to take the "dirty work", Right???? Well I need the work anyway. Thanks for the input... I got a feeling this is going to be an adventure:(

T
twh Offline
After reading that, I think I like -40 weather. At least there are no snakes in igloos.

G
Why would you want to get rid of snakes? They eat all the other stuff you don't like and they won't hurt you.
A black snake is your best buddy.

This is what happens when a black snake catches a rattle snake.

[Linked Image from gfretwell.com]

Greg Fretwell
S
crazy Yea, but it's the ugly copperheads in my area I don't won't to come eye ball to eye ball with. After 20 years they may have a den down there. But anyway, here I go.... to meet whatever is lurking down there. I read where snakes don't have ears or hearing, but they will probably "feel" my "vibrations" if I crawl down in that "cellar" and see one. Just hope I don't "knock" myself out trying to get out of there smile Maybe the old song "whistle while you work" will help grin I'll try to let you know what I find........

E
It is true that they use sound vibrations to hear. They also don't have very good eyesight. I have to tell you that this thread has completely given me the creeps! I can't even stand going into my shed to get the lawn mower out. I don't envy your situation at all. Good luck and please let us know how you make out, seriously.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
T
Over illuminate the dark space before you descend.

Most of the nasties hate sunlight and will crawl away from a brightly lit zone if you give them enough time.

Heavy metal music can work against sensitive ears.

Scrap carpeting can be of great value: you can spray it with repellant -- take your pick -- and be placed face down. The under side then makes a nice slip and slide surface.

Mechanic's stick lights -- use more than one -- are effective in confined crawl spaces -- and robust enough to survive.

Heat guns are also very effective for driving insects away. Any snake that strikes will aim for the gun head in as much as their vision is in the infra-red.

Suck it up and belly down!

Cheers.

Tesla
S
Go with Tesla's plan.. Snakes hate the bright light. And BTW, when it's attached to your leg remember what gfretwell said "A black snake is your best buddy" smile
PS: bug bomb don't work on snakes .... guess how I know.

I'm more worried about the spiders than the snakes.
Those pictures were a little creepy though.

Founder and creator of Precision Pricing Electrical Flat Rate Software.
B
I'm with TWH... -40 doesn't seem so bad anymore

S
Part 1.

I went through the preliminaries yesterday. Beat on the trap door first, dropped my 4 ft. ladder down next, hooked up my 250 wt. quartz light and lowered it down to shine under the porch area. I put my heavy boots on, head lamp, and a piece of 1/2" conduit in my hand. Ready for anything eek Dangled the light for a few minutes to see if I got any "strikes". After being a little confident, I started my decent, very slowly. After getting down far enough to look under the porch, I look for any signs of danger. I see one piece of old carpet, I thought was a snake skin, but was relieved it wasn't. Next was to go down some concrete steps, through an old door that led under the house to an old "dug out wine cellar" sort of area. I'm carrying my quartz light in front of me all the time and using it like it was a AK47 ( is that what it's called???) Anyway, I shine my light and beat with my piece of emt in all the supicious areas that I can reach, except of course the several "holes" in the sides of the dirt where it looks like a snake might have made. I didn't want to press my "luck". The dug out area is about 8ft. x 10ft. then you have to crawl up on the area next to the floor joist. That's where I'm dreading to go, with the insulation hanging down off the heating ducts, under the pipes, etc... After I investigate the area where I could stand up, I decide not to go "crawling" yet, not until I have to. By the way, up on those ledges, under the ducts and pipes, is where all my "homeruns" are going to have to come from. I'm planning on setting an outside panel to replace the one that is there now.
I'm just evaluating the job for now, to see what my next plan of action will be.
I slowly come out of my "hole" and investigate the rest of the house, which was built in 1927 they say. After investigating it, I take some "spray bombs" back under the house and "set off" 2 of them. I figure it might help kill some "black widows" if nothing else. Anyway, I made a start. I'll probably go back tomorrow and start on some easier stuff up in the house, that's not so scarry, open the "trap door" again to allow some ventilation so as not to "do me in".
By the way, I do expect to use a helper on some parts of this job grin I can see this job is going to get "interesting".
Stay tuned for Part 2 of this story,
"The Adventures and Thrills of being an electrician".

To be continued,.... I hope blush

Last edited by sparkync; 06/17/09 04:01 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard