ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#186953 06/07/09 06:30 PM
L
leland Offline OP
Hi Folks.
I'm involved with a veterans group,up until now it has only been function volunteer work and financial donations.

I now have an opportunity to donate my skill/trade. Insurance is required,not the issue. How much should I protect myself? Not insurance wise,I have 1mil,liability,including finished installs.

This is for a group that builds and donates adapted homes to our severely injured veterans. I feel honerd to have been asked (having not served my self,my little way of giving back).

What type of contract,if any,and what wording would yall' recommend?

Thanx for your time.

Last edited by leland; 06/07/09 06:31 PM.
Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
leland #186954 06/07/09 06:48 PM
W
Leland,
I would say as long as you are doing permitted work, and your insurance is up to date, you'd be covered. the only con of having only liability insurance is that it does not cover workers comp, that's a seperate policy through my insurance anyway. So that being said work "alone".I'm also a stickler for not allowing anyone to touch any wiring on a job i have the permit for. make sure you spell that out.

WireNuts29 #186957 06/07/09 08:54 PM
A
A good question for you agent. I have read that some companies don't cover work not paid for. I think the reason is some base the insurance price on the EC sales. Someone suggested in the past to charge something for this reason, such as $1.

Perhaps you should spell out your warrenty on parts and labor. Maybe the typical used car one "As-is, no warrenty". I'm sure you would make good on things if there was a problem, by why leave yourself open. An example would be damages resulting from a power outage (non utility). A basement floods, food spoil, emergency repair by other EC, etc. resulting from a defect in the electrical system can be costly. Just seems sometimes like the less you make the more things come back to bite you.

Active 1 #186958 06/07/09 09:31 PM
L
leland Offline OP
--less you make the more things come back to bite you.--

Ya the ole, "No good deed goes unpunished!"

Nuts: Here as a sole proprietor (as you know) Workers comp not needed. We however are not at permitting time yet. More research is needed there,I have been asked for labor only.

Active; Great advice,second call in the AM.

Thanx all.

http://www.homesforourtroops.org/site/PageServer

Link Copied to Clipboard