ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 516 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Originally Posted by renosteinke
Mike, I think that "DWV" is actually black, and made of a different plastic than PVC. Ordinary PVC glue won't work.
That's ABS. Both ABS (black) and PVC (white) are common for DWV. I've heard that ABS is more prevelant in the western US and PVC in the east, but I don't know if there's any truth to that. (I'm in the east and see mostly PVC, btw.)

T
Funny how things vary in different parts of the planet... Austria and Germany exclusively use PP (polypropylene) drain piping which is either dark grey or colored (I've seen light blue and dark burgundy red). Sewer pipes are made of PVC (65 C degrees temperature rating as opposed to a 95 degrees rating of drain pipe). Occasionally ABS is used, but it's rare. PP and PVC pipe usually has prefabricated bells on one end, with a ruber o-ring and is just stuck together. These large bells make plumbing pipe very easy to recognize.
http://www.getek-gmbh.de/shop/bilder/produkte/gross/576_1.jpg

OK....a first time for everything!
Thanks Ed

John
And a thread from Norcal, From a couple of months ago, showing a feeder using ABS DWV "conduit".

https://www.electrical-contractor.n...hat_NEC_section_covers_ABS_DW#Post186020

BTW: Referring to "Sch 40" for the drain pipe is correct, when referring to ABS

Never noticed that in the pic from Norcal either!

John
F
Originally Posted by HotLine1
Marc: (Frenchelectrician)

DWV (plumbing) pipe is NOT allowed. I have seen plumbing PVC used for irrigation (low volt) wiring for lawn sprinklers, and the occasional homeowner using plumbing pipe, but I have to say in 40+ years.....I have not met a hack that used DWV for a feeder, much less an electrician

John., I allready ran into more than once when someone did actally done that kind of fashion like that.

One guy claim it work really slick however he learn a lesson when I try to pull out the damaged conductors out of DWV pipe { it was binded at sharp 90° ell } so result is have to cut it out and run the proper PVC conduit and conductor that guy is not a happy camper at all after I have to fix his's mess

Merci,Marc

P.S. it do happend both side of pond so I am not really too amused when someone try to cut the corner like that.

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

If the DWV (Drain, Waste, and Vent) you are referring to is of the black variety, it is cellular core (think styrofoam) ABS and not PVC.

N
Was repairing some sprinklers & there was 3- 3/4" lines grouped together so decided to cut them out of the way & then repair them after the orig one was done, while cutting one out of the way discovered that had cut clean through a 14/2 UF cable inside a white PVC line, to this day get really pushed out of shape when I see white PVC used for electrical conduit mad , BTW the power was off on the cut UF cable.

J
Why would he have two pipes, one inside the other? I suspect he used the wrong pipe the first time and simply fixed his problem by sleeving the proper pipe over top.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard