ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
kinetic Offline OP
Regular Light Bulbs Made Super-Efficient with Ultra-Fast Laser

The old light bulb might get new life.

http://www.rochester.edu/news/show.php?id=3385

I guess all those sci-fi movies were right; the future does revolve around lasers!

Well, that's just fine and dandy, ain't it! Just when they have all vanished from our stores here. mad

Wood work but can't!
I
Just think of the logistics. Using a multi milion dollar laser to make a lowly lightbulb more efficient. Does this thing work on only one bulb at a time or could it do a whole batch at once? 'seems like a really expensive way to do it.
It's still really cool though.

G
This is a process for the bulb factory, you don't need a laser in each luminaire wink

A 40% reduction in power is probably not enough to make them compete with CFLs but it is interesting.
I wonder what this does to filament life.

Greg Fretwell
I
I know that it would be done in a factory making these things. I was just curious about the logistics of a factory doing this. Obviously, if you had to do it one bulb at a time, a factory could not use this technique. wink

Greg I wondered about that too. The life of a tungsten filament [at design temperature 3100º-5400ºF] is a factor of surface damage to the filament, at a heat approaching the fusion point of tungsten [6192ºF] and by cyling on and off. Minute cracks and 'hot spots' appear, which slowly enlarge and lead to failure, buffered by the choice of inert gas fill, argon, nitrogen, halogens. If this 'laser surface' treatment is degraded by the heat in less than the normal bulb life, the whole idea will be useless.

Wood work but can't!
G
Ian, the pulse is so short that it wouldn't really slow down the line if they shot each bulb one at a time as they go by. I assume they would cost a little more but if I was in the incandescent bulb business I would be willing to do a lot to save my business.

Greg Fretwell
S
It seems that it takes more than one shot with the laser. The article stated that the treated "spot" was brighter. There is no report on the size of the spot, could be anywhere from 1/3 of the filiment (meeting the largest size I could call a spot) to the size of the pointed end on a pin or smaller depending on what they were using to observe the spot.

I
Very good point. Lasers, at the power levels they are working with, have beam diameters of just a few microns. So, I would imagine, the affected area of the filament would be very small indeed.

Last edited by IanR; 06/03/09 02:08 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard