ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 263 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#186837 05/30/09 05:22 PM
O
Oh Well Offline OP
A friend would like to mount a 200A. meter socket on a pole to feed two buildings in opposite directions. Would it be possible to mount two 100A. rain tight disconnects below the meter socket then feed the two buildings with either copper conductors in PVC or direct burial aluminum USE cable? A 200A. raintight distribution panel would be an option but to have such a large panel with only two DP. breakers doesn't make sense. As far as the 100A. disconnects with a 200A. meter I'm using rule 14-100 as a reference. Thanks

Hi there,
If this is a PoCo owned pole, I'd get them involved from the start.
Power Companies dislike people mounting things on their poles, if they aren't done properly, mainly because if the wrong sort of fixings are used, it can cause the pole to rot prematurely or weaken the pole.

Just a thought.

F
that is good head up Mike.,

Now speaking for the pole is the OP is on the farm area the POCO { in my area } they will required a seperated pole they normally don't want customer owned items on the POCO pole but once you have privite { customer owned } pole then anything goes after that.

For non farm useage it will be slightly diffrent depending on the set up and service size and what really compound it is the service drop run on both secondary and primary side so It will be wise have POCO check it out and see what their regulations related to this matter.

Merci,Marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

O
Oh Well Offline OP
The pole is privately owned. I was concerned about how to get two 100A. feeds from a 200A.meter socket.

M
Run this past your inspector as I could not get consensus in ours. A 200 amp meter base with tandem lugs on the load side. 1 feeder to 1 building and the other to the other building. Both buildings have a service entry approved main and the conductors outside the building as for a single service. 14-100 has a lot of requirements for the protection of conductors except that we have a glaring exception in that the contractor installs unprotected conductors when ever we have an overhead service. The dispute in our office is one inspectors wants OC protection on each of the 2 X 100 amp service feeders but if they were a parallel run to the same panel he doesn't. Either they are consumer service or they are private owned and follow 14-100. I am of the opinion that as long as the meter has provision to install 2 wires under 1 lug and the service cables stay outside the building till as close as possible to the main switch then you are good to go.
If you chose triplex I'd go back to the top of the pole in 200 amp wire and tap both service feeders to that. Ground at both buildings. Now if there was a building where the meter is then a single 200 amp service and a single 100 amp sub.

T
twh Offline
The way mikesh describes it is accepted in Saskatchewan. Our requirements are:
-double lug meter socket (200 amp in this case)
-USEB or USEI must be protected by conduit where exposed (right into the panel)
-total of the main over-current protection must not exceed 200 amps
-both buildings have service entrance equipment and are grounded and bonded

What would be different than mikesh describes it, is that if there is a building where the meter is, nothing changes. We often put the meter on the building closest to the supply and feed the other from the meter. Here, everyone has a truck. If the box is empty, then the welder is back home in the garage.

M
Have you considered a CMS (central metering system), where a CT is mounted up on the pole and the secondary off the transformer goes through the donut that can be branched off overhead or underground. Each building must have a service installed at it. I just did one here on a Ontario farm, one meter mounted on the pole with one line to the house 200A, one line to barn 100A and one line to workshop 100A.

Link Copied to Clipboard