ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 474 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 4
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
IMHO, all equipment installed for a solar job is supplied by the EC/Installer. Including a 'disconnect' to prevent backfeed to the utility, when required.

Rolling back the clock, an exterior disco was installed to prevent backfeed into the grid when it was necessary to terminate the backfeed. As eloquently explained above by Larry C, the newer equipment has technology that automatically prevents 'backfeed' IF and when the utility power is down.

As to what you refer to "backwoods" installs, that may be another issue that I have no experience with, as all work here is permitted & inspected by the municipality, and the utility, with spot checks by the state.

John
Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
G
From what I see on these groups "back woods" installations are inspected by the utility. Obviously they don't pay too much attention to things very far past the service disconnect but I assume they would be interested in the transfer equipment and solar isolation from the grid. My guess is you don't get net metering back in the sticks.
If I back feed the grid in the city or suburbs a utility failure would instantly overload my ability to supply power since I would have 3 or 4 homes on my secondary, maybe close to a 50 on that primary tap.
Out in the sticks it might just be you and 1 or 2 neighbors. The line man (or your neighbor) could have an ugly surprise.

Greg Fretwell
Cat Servant
Guys, I really like this discussion. I'm going to start a new thread, in the "General" area, just for solar.

Choosing "General" was a hard choice, as 'solar' has some unique business elements. Let's meet over there!

Last edited by renosteinke; 10/22/09 02:29 PM.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard