ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 376 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 4
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Perhaps the 'golden age' was the rock n' roll, bubble expansion period that we saw until the 'big bust'.

Discussion today was that approx. 40% of the members of the Carpenters local are down for the count.

Things are very quiet at the Vo-tech that I teach at evenings, out of 3 electrical trade courses I do, only enough registered for one course.

I agree that the times are 'tough' now for a start-up. Resi nigh-end is about the only resi where I work, and there's a lot of hungry competitors for those $$$. Comm & retail are tight & also a lot of hungry guys.

As a suggestion; could you keep the 'day job' & persue your independence around that?? A regular paycheck & oh yes the benefits are .......priceless sometimes.

John
Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
G
Maybe these Vo-Techs should be pitching that solar PV information we are tossing around.
Since the definition of what "certified" means is still evolving, reasonably priced education is hard to find, these schools should step up if they want a taste of the pie.
The more I think about the more I believe the industry is going to try to make this a closed little club and I think it should be wide open

Greg Fretwell
Greg:
Attempts have been made to create a solar course, it's a tough, tough 'group' to try to open.

My opinion of the slowdown in enrollment is the crummy economic climate.

Perhaps, something could be put together for next semester...

John
A
Since you are mentioning solar....what is being done about any excess energy generated by these solar panels?

G
Ayrton
That is the intent of net metering, you sell your excess back to the grid.

John, I do think an introductory course in solar PV would be fairly easy to put together, just the basic theory along with the code issues and some introduction to the materials and practices. Getting deeper into it would probably require some vendor input but I bet the manufacturers would love to get exposure to their products.
I know public and union education crawls along at a snail's pace, taking years to learn something but I am used to "fire hose" schools (Navy and IBM) where they might give you everything you need to know about something like this in less than 80 hours.

Greg Fretwell
A
Greg, my question was more along the lines of how will the power not being consumed be stored. Do these Solar systems have batteries? What about back feed onto the utility?

Mind you I am ignorant to how these systems work.

Energy produced by PV systems is 'dumped' into the electrical system as 120/240 volts and 'used' by the structure, or 'backfed' thru the utility meter into the grid system.

There are some systems that store energy in wet cell batteries for 'use' on site, but I have not seen one in a long time.

John
A
Wont this "backfeed" cause problems for the utility? How will the utility know amount for sure backfed, in order for buy back?

Last edited by ayrton; 10/21/09 06:53 PM.
L
The definition of "net" metering is that your PV produced power will either slow down the KW-Hr meter or reverse it. That is the basis of the term "net". Net=PoCo-PV During the day the meter should be going backwards because you are producing more than you use. At night the meter is going forward, based on how much power you are using.

The PoCo sometimes likes this setup because it helps stabilizes the neighborhood network. They don't like buying the power at retail price. They also are concerned that when the utility sources go away and your PV array tries to supply the neighborhood. That could lead to a situation where your PV system will energize wires that are supposed to be dead. That is why any grid tie inverter will have circuitry to prevent backfeeding a non-energized neighborhood.

A
This grid tie inverter is PoCo equip?..correct? What about in the "backwoods areas" (where I suspect most initial Sp's will be installed) where the utility is anequated? I for see problems withthis. I have seen utility come out in populated areas and even with plans they dont know the grids. This countries infrastructure (mainly utility) is VERY anequated. You folks knowledgable in transmission and these solar systems let me know if I am incorrect.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard