ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 272 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
S
I have a potential customer with approx. 3000 sq. ft. basement that he wants finished. It is basically a house within itself. It has kitchen, bedrooms, huge den area etc. He's going to supply approx. 30+ recess can lights, will have around 5 celing fan/lights.
The job is not organized , with no prints to go by, and he basically don't know what he wants with his lights. The ceiling has to be dropped. Part of it is cluttered with furniture etc.
It's been a while since I've done a house, and I don't know what the going rate per sq. ft. is. This is North Carolina. I probably won't go with the sq. ft. method but would like to compare my price with it. Anybody that would like to give me a realistic idea of what you think might be a reaonable price on this job, I would appreciate it greatly. I need the work badly, but do not want to just give it to him. I am 56 yrs old, so I won't be able to go as fast as some of you younger guys.
Thanks ....Steve

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
L
$25K. ($8/sq'--To code- extras are extra!) 3000 sq ft. that's a big house. Service upgrade needed?
--"Part of it is cluttered with furniture etc."---
You must take this into consideration.

Or:--"The job is not organized , with no prints to go by, and he basically don't know what he wants with his lights."---

$75/hr. they buy and deliver all materials.

Speed only counts on the 'dead line'. A 100 man hours is a 100 man hours.

S
There is no service upgrade needed. The existing service is sufficient and there is room in the panels for the extra circuits ( I think there is at least a 400 amp service on the house now.) There will be no more heat or a/c needed as far as I know, no telephones or cable needed, just basically recess lights, fan/lights, outlets, range, kitchen outlets, smoke detectors, afci's, GFI for kitchen, tamper proof outlets per code, and a few incadescent lights here and there. Permit required. Thanks. I came up with $6225.00 for up to 30 recess cans, outlets only by code
(others will be extra), 15 amp circuits except where required by code, owner to supply light fixtures/smoke detectors. Here in North Carolina, they would laugh at me big time if I quoted a price of $ 25K for any size of house, outside of a "Governor's Mansion". Even at $6225.00 I'll probably be too high. Thanks for the reply. I haven't called my bid in yet. I may think about it a little more.

L
I was not being sarcastic(for the record).
It is just soo hard to even guess numbers.each region of the country is very different.
Even in this State (Mass) rates are very different within a 30 mile radius.

Bare bones here for a 1000sq' can be any where from 8K to 12K.

Good luck,hope you score!

S
I am 56 yrs old, so I won't be able to go as fast as some of you younger guys.

you just had to go there.....~S~

L
smile I'm not getting younger. frown

S
leland, thanks for the reply. I didn't take anything as sarcasm. I understand how it is. Just makes me wished I lived up north sometimes. I realize the rates are much higher up your way.
As far a growing old, I may take up baby sitting when I retire, ( except the dirty stuff, I would have to sub that out:) Seems like I've been doing a lot of it lately
(grandchildren). My wife disagrees though, at least while she's alive:)
thanks again, I just signed my part of a contract on the house. I had to add a lot of "stipulations for extra's" in in though. I probably didn't charge enough, but I guess it's better than being a "greeter" at Walmart:)

G
I have a diaper trick. If it is really a nasty one, take the kid out in the yard and wash them down with the hose.

Greg Fretwell
S
Hey, Hey, now. That's a good one. I'll share that one with my wife.

Last edited by sparkync; 05/22/09 02:20 PM.
G
We have an outside shower with the hand held sprayer hose so it is really not that complicated here.

Greg Fretwell

Link Copied to Clipboard