ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 284 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Maybe it's just the lighting (or lack thereof), but that portion of the liquidtight hanging out in the breeze (in the foregroud of the pic.) doesn't look very healthy either.
Certainly a poor substitute for a nice pipe job.

This isn't a hazardous area, is it?

Mike (mamills)

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

B
Originally Posted by mamills
Maybe it's just the lighting (or lack thereof), but that portion of the liquidtight hanging out in the breeze (in the foregroud of the pic.) doesn't look very healthy either.
Certainly a poor substitute for a nice pipe job.

This isn't a hazardous area, is it?

Mike (mamills)

The liquidtight dangling down in the dim conditions is under a metal staircase coming from the second floor of the building down to the ground. It isn't accessible, and seems isolated enough to be safe from physical damage. I don't know if it classifies as a 'hazardous area" by definition, though.

A wider angle view.

[Linked Image from stevelutzphoto.smugmug.com]

Last edited by Bigplanz; 05/19/09 04:48 PM.
G
I have heard arguments that those connectors are only listed for boxes and cabinet K/Os. They say using them with a threaded connector is a violation.

Greg Fretwell
Over here in NJ we calll the 'Mineralacs' "cowboys"! BTW, are they listed for sealtite?

The wide angle view now reveals .....unsupported EMT; is the disco holding the EMT? or...is the EMT holding the disco?

John
Cat Servant
I assume you are referring to the transition where a threaded coupling was used to transition from Sealtite to pipe.

I even have seen a statement by UL in print that claimed that such use of the threaded coupling was improper .... but it was hard to be sure. UL has engineers, not writers, and their prose is often poor. (Just look at any of their standards!)

It's certainly a matter of lively debate in some circles. Alas, the most strident voices of opposition seem unable to back their opinion with more than their egos.

Personally, I don't have an issue with it at all .. and certainly not when there's a ground wire in the run.

As for the argument that "you can't make a piece from parts that is factory made," I have nothing but contempt. Indeed, the 'factory' stuff is usually inspired by the successful use of a field-made assembly.

B
Originally Posted by HotLine1
Over here in NJ we calll the 'Mineralacs' "cowboys"! BTW, are they listed for sealtite?

The wide angle view now reveals .....unsupported EMT; is the disco holding the EMT? or...is the EMT holding the disco?

If you take a close look at the bottom left hand corner, you can see the EMT is supported by a big block of wood.

Here is a blow up.

L
Originally Posted by Bigplanz
Originally Posted by leland
Violation: 350.30(A)
(supported with in 12" 0f a box)

Very ugly Yes.

This may be compliant under 'Exception 2' of 350.30 (A)

No way. it is on a disco,besides,How are you going to move that conduit?

G
I must have misunderstood the scale; it looked like the block of wood is more than 12" from the disconnect switch. That switch must be only 2" or so in height.

BTW, is that REALLY "supporting" the conduit or just propping it up so it doesn't rip out of the bottom of the enclosure by its own weight??

Ghost307
B
Originally Posted by ghost307
I must have misunderstood the scale; it looked like the block of wood is more than 12" from the disconnect switch. That switch must be only 2" or so in height.

BTW, is that REALLY "supporting" the conduit or just propping it up so it doesn't rip out of the bottom of the enclosure by its own weight??

Tbe block of wood is more than 12" from the disconnect. I would say it's close to three feet below the disco. As far as the question of 'support' that's a good one. Is the conduit properly 'supported' or not, by code? I don't know. The weight of the conduit is borne by the wood, so I would say, 'yes, it is supported.' Whether it is supported in a code compliant way is a different matter.

B
At the same site, I came across this oddity. Not sure what to make of the flex just cut off and left dangling from the disco. Hope it's not hot, anyway. As my teenage daughter would say, WTF?!?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard