ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#186420 05/12/09 04:28 AM
S
I am involved with demo'ing an old office area and it is plumb full of cat5 data lines that are currently connected to their router or hub (T10/100?) if the data lines are cut prior disconnecting them from their hub, would that pose and danger to the hub? it seams to be not a problem but I am not certain, data lines are not my field of expertise. Any info would be helpful. Thanx

P.S. the hub is not accessible and will not be for a while hence the question otherwise the project could be delayed and I am trying to avoid that.

Last edited by sparkyinak; 05/12/09 04:30 AM.

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
Merely cutting them will not hurt anything but the loose wires swinging in the air might. The possibility of ESD damage is significant and contacting energized conductors is sudden death.
Just unplug everything before you start.

Greg Fretwell
G
It shouldn't cause any problems, but make sure that you coordinate with the IT people and get them to sign off on it.
In my experience, there are a whole lot of IT "experts" who don't really know diddly and will blame you for anything that goes wrong with their network or their equipment.

I had one give me a tongue-lashing for messing up their server by my touching a wire. He shut up quick when I showed him that the wire was a scrap left over from some renovation work done months earlier and was never connected to anything.

Remember that many of these folks are the ones who "fix" their problems by cutting the ground pin off of the plugs.
smile

Ghost307
L
Delay!?

So be it,have Them 'IT' make safe your demo.

Other wise..your delay is a big loss of revenue (for you). and a new system for them (at your expense).

Just my little thought. or...DENY,DENY,DENY !!!!! (sometimes that works).

E
Can't you just insist that you be afforded the opportunity to tone out the affected cables, disconnect them and not run the risk?

Yes you do run a risk of damaging things if the existing switch (hub) is equipped for POE.

I'm no fan of CGs (computer geeks) either, but you need to demand to have access to the switch to afford you to make the disconnection. Rest assured that if you don't, when the IT guy's car won't start a month from now, it will be your fault.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
L
Originally Posted by EV607797
Can't you just insist that you be afforded the opportunity to tone out the affected cables, disconnect them and not run the risk?

Yes you do run a risk of damaging things if the existing switch (hub) is equipped for POE.

Rest assured that if you don't, when the IT guy's car won't start a month from now, it will be your fault.

Now this is OT:
My friend who owns a gas station.
Did a state inspection on a vehicle (passed),they came back a week later claiming their rear power window was damaged (not working)due to something they did during the inspection. (people are 'funny')

Back on topic: Trust no one. It will most assuredly take longer to be careful, then to just have them (IT) give the green light. Let them know of the potential,they will respond.

B
Cut them and then wrap the ends in electrical tape to prevent them from contacting anything that might damage the hub.

I think Ethernet hubs are pretty resistant to ESD, but you could wear a ground strap while you're cutting them if you're worried.

If it is Cat 5, disconnect at the cross-connect panel, then cut them.

Originally Posted by brianl703
Cut them and then wrap the ends in electrical tape to prevent them from contacting anything that might damage the hub.

yes, but what if the wires touch each other, that may become an issue

-Joe
“then we'll glue em' then screw em'”
-Tom Silva
TOH
G
If the conductors in each cable touch one another, the system SHOULD read that as a shorted cable and ignore it.
BUT, you should know that you stand a very good chance of being put in the trick bag if anything ever goes wrong with their IT system. Write down exactly how you are going to deal with your end of the cables and officially hand it to them so they can't later say that hey had no knowledge of what you were up to.
As I said before, I fervently believe that the majority of IT folks are clueless and are just itching for a chance to blame someone else for their system woes.

I had one of our IT staff try to fix a computer problem last week; and a lot of her time was spent opening various windows muttering, "What's this one do? Let's try this setting. Let's 'google' it and see if anyone else knows how to fix this." ... followed by "I'm going to get him a better program, this Microsoft program isn't the best" when there are only a few of us in a thousand user network with this issue. If it was a bad piece of software, wouldn't it be acting the same on ALL of the machines throughout the company?
If we go out on a call and there's no power on the load side of a transformer how many of us would install a new Service at a different voltage? I dare say that we would at least try to find the blown fuse or failed transformer before we ripped out the whole electrical system and replaced it with a something different.

Keep in mind, these people invented the concept of "reboot". Their first instinct to a problem is to turn it off and on and see if the problem goes away...their second instinct is to blame someone else.

Ghost307
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard