ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 263 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#186482 05/15/09 07:28 AM
G
gunther Offline OP
I took and passed my county master electrician's test several years ago, but did not take it further by registering with the state. Now I have an opportunity to go into business and will have to retest because it's been over three years.
I'm thinking about taking the state certification test instead and was wondering if anyone had any helpful information concerning this.
Are the tests that different? Should I go ahead and retake my county and plan on the state for later?
My plan is to move more into the low voltage area and have a contact that knows someone who needs a qualifier for a phone/data/security company. I have a lot of questions about that also.
I've called the state but they seem to not want to be bothered too much answering my questions and I thought someone on this forum might be handy to give some direction.

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
G
As far as I know, you need the state license to operate a business. The county test is just for a journeyman/master card that is not even required in all counties.
Who did you talk to at the state? Did you look at the DBPR web site?
https://www.myfloridalicense.com/NewApplicationInstruct.asp?Page=intentions2.asp&SID

Greg Fretwell
J
gunther, I just went throught the process with the State of Florida. Get ready for a long ride! The unlimited contractors test is probebly alot diffrent, there are 11 diffrent books you need to bring into the test, and you will need every one of them! I just became an EC here in florida, and also a Contractor in Michigan, Florida is alot more strict than any where I know of. As far as starting a business without and EC license that would be up to your county. I believe you may be eligable for and ER license witch is more of a local License and not a State issued one. I hope this helps and I look foward to your response. Also let me know if you need the books for the State test, I could sell them to you at a discounted price. Good luck to you!

jason
G
All electricians have to work under a state licensed EC in Florida. There is no country "contractor's" license. You may also need a county "business/occupational" license but is only a tax. Some do license journeymen but they still need to work under a permit pulled by a state licensed EC. There are "specialty" licenses for low voltage and alarm that are less stringent that the unlimited. (mostly less bond requirement)
Jason knows more about this than me but the guys (and gals) I know who have taken contractors license tests say the business/legal parts are harder than the trade part.
I know the legal and ADA for the inspector license is pretty dry stuff to learn.

Greg Fretwell
J
Hi Greg, I am pretty sure there are two types of licenses here in florida, one is an EC, the other ER. the diffrence being as an EC you can go anywhere in the state and work in any jurisdiction. An ER only allows you to work in the county that you are registered. Also as far as the test business part of test was 50 questions 3 hours, it wasent to bad, the trade part of the test for me was the hardest because of the type of questions. about 15 questions on OSHA alone, alot on life safety, neon techniques, fire alarm, security systems, sign structures, concrete curing, you name it it was on there. Like I said if you dont have these books going in to the test you will never pass it. Maybe one half of the test was actual code questions.

jason
G
You are right.
I believe this is still a state license but limited to certain counties. The inspector licenses don't work like that and I was wrong. Sorry for any confusion.

Greg Fretwell

Link Copied to Clipboard