ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 139 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
I was in a meeting today with the ESA, so I asked the ESA's Technical Advisor about changing split 15A receptacles beside a kitchen sink with decora.
His reply was to go ahead and do it, but not to replace the split with a single GFCI receptacle.
Just thought that you should know.
Now I'll have to inform my local inspector lol.

E
Like for like. You don't need a GFI or a GFI breaker. Just because a new code came along doesn't mean you have to change your origional electrical. Now if your adding a receptace or re-wiring of course you MUST follow new codes.

The same for a parking bollard. Origionally was wired a split plug for two cars but is only 2 feet from the ground. Do you need to change it so it's protected by a gfi? NO, like for like.

You also don't have to use tamper resistant receptacles unless your adding new ones. If your just replacing the device's it's like for like.

Lets say your adding a receptacle to an egsisting circuit in a bedroom in an old house. Does it need to be TR? or arc fault protected?

If the circuit does not have more than twelve devices you can do it. The device will have to be TR but not arc fault. Now if your adding a new circuit because the origional has twelve devices, then of course it must be arc fault and TR.

Basically if your just replacing something you can replace it with the same thing that was there. If your adding new stuff then new codes MUST be followed

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard