ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 497 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
dougwells #186578 05/19/09 09:50 PM
Originally Posted by dougwells
My issue is that the connection box under the Mobile that is part of the park distribution may not handle #3 for box fill and lugs. This is a very old mobile home park.
the connection box is very small.

This connection box is 8x6x4 deep. There is a weidlmuller style terminal blocks inside.The wiring block is off to one side of the box.with 3 # 6s connected to that side.
Feeding the other side of the block is 3 #4 AL thhn conductors. There is no way i can bend the #3 teck conductors to enter the block where the # 6 conductors are now. these terminals are on a din rail type mount.

Now the AHJ wants the mobile home park to replace the connection box to a newer style. My license scope is 200 amp so this would have to be done by another contractor, as it is part of the mobile home park distribution.The customer says the mobile home park will just tell him to move his trailer out.

Every mobile home park that is older than 20 years here all only have 60 amp services available and most wont upgrade.

I asked for the rule # that says i have to upgrade to a 100 amp cable from a 60 amp disconnect(breaker) in service meters
pedestal. b ut he didnt give it to me.

dougwells #186610 05/20/09 09:56 PM
This is the connection box

Attached Images
GLEW 0001.JPG
dougwells #186681 05/24/09 01:39 AM
T
twh Offline
I asked for the rule # that says i have to upgrade to a 100 amp cable from a 60 amp disconnect(breaker) in service meters pedestal. but he didn't give it to me.
Not much anyone can do for you when you have one of those.

Stanford Prison Experiment

Give the customer the inspector's name and tell him to write his MLA.

dougwells #187490 06/28/09 04:46 PM
B
Why would you need 100amps for an old trailer? If the trailer park has 60a
services then the inspector has no issue. If they have 100a services then
mount a 60a outdoor trailer service breaker enclosure at the unit. They are not that expensive.

bigpapa #187492 06/28/09 06:00 PM
Cat Servant
I found the link to the "Stanford Prison Experiment" quite enlightening. Indeed, we have seen a fair amount of strutting about on this very forum, usually by AHJ's who have grown accustomed to being the 'final word' in their town!

Now, for the trailer power ....

First, I am in the States, and have no knowledge of your Canadian rules. I just find this thread timely, as I have just done my first 'upograde' of a camper/RV space to a trailer space.

Anyway, I thought you'd like to see what I did, in the course of my 'reinventing the wheel.' laugh

Here is the panel that feeds the trailer:

[Linked Image from electrical-photos.com]

You can see the connection box under the trailer. I was surprised to learn that I needed to run pipe, AND have a connection box; every trailer I have worked on has had the cable directly connected to the pedestal. Sometimes this cable has been directly buried; most often, the cable is simply laying on the ground.

The city explained that they didn't want the trailer connection / set-up crew to have to open the panel.

A close-up of the box reveals the "NSI" type connectors I provided for the set-up crew. (For the detail-oriented, the pigtails ended up somewhat loncer after I finished my panel connections):

[Linked Image from electrical-photos.com]

As for ampacity: I sized my feed to my load calculations. In this instance I calculated 103 amps, so I provided a 125 amp service. Our code specifies 100 amp service to any 'dwelling.'

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard