ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 521 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#18653 12/12/02 11:00 PM
G
Stranded vs. Solid -- In practical application there's little difference in electrical performance between stranded and solid wire. The DC resistance of stranded wire is slightly more than solid wire of the same gauge, due to the slightly smaller total conductor cross-sectional area. But stranded wire has slightly less impedence at high frequencies, due to the slightly larger surface area. So, stranded wire is generally preferred for most applications because of it's much greater flexibility, but solid might be preferable for high power (and especially high current) applications.

#18654 12/12/02 11:29 PM
S
UL will say it's suitable. However I guess the issue of what type of wire vs. type of connector also hinges on what is easier to work with a particular type of terminal.

For instance, when it comes to screw terminals (like those found on wall switches and receptacles), solid is easier to work with once you've got the hook done. You don't have to worry about individual conductor strands coming out from under the screw as it tightens, like it happens when attching a cord cap or a lampholder to a piece of lamp-cord.

When twisting two conductors and attaching a wirenut, stranded is easier because you can twist it partly with your fingers - you don't need a linesman's pliers. [Linked Image]

#18655 12/13/02 02:01 AM
G
There is a lot of myth about where current flows.

I suspect that A/C current that flows at the surfaces of stranded conductor refers to current that flows near the insulation of the conductors rather than at the surfaces that are interior to the whole wire.

I suspect that there is no real current carrying difference between identical x-section stranded and unstranded wire.

#18656 12/13/02 10:53 AM
J
JBD Offline
The only difference is: Stranded is easier to bend.

Skin effect is neglible to non existent at and below 60Hz, until you get into the 250kcmil and larger wire sizes.

Skin effect is a function of the frequency, and the overall diameter of the conductor. As far as skin effects goes, it makes no difference if the conductor is solid or made up of strands.

#18657 12/13/02 12:37 PM
W
When is skin affect needed? How about antenas, I see that they are hollow and work at a very high frequency.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard