ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 278 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#186288 05/01/09 06:47 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Hi All,
Now please don't miscontrue this as a sales pitch, as that is not my intention.

I've been using some "skinning" software, for some time, that radically changes the look of not only your desktop but also the whole layout of your browser as well.

I'll upload a screen-cap to show you folks how the latest incantation of this software looks.

I think it cost me US$20 to get the licenses to download certain schemes, but you can get trial ones (14 days) to check out.
I started off with the trial version and bought it outright, this stuff must take a LOT of work to build.

But anyhow, check out Stardock My Colors, I think that there might be a theme in there for most people.

So, if you are sick of the limited colours that Windas XP or Vista hands you, have a crack at this.

Just a heads up, if you are going to download this software, make sure you have M$ NET 2.0 Environment installed on you computer before-hand, if you don't have it pre-installed, the whole download/install will turn to custard and we don't want that.

Good news, it can be found here.

G
It just sounds like one more piece of software to crash your system. I guess I am a "nothing but the facts ma'am" sort of guy.
I want to be able to hit Ctl/Alt/Del and have it display on less than a screen.
My W/98 boxes typically only have 4 or 5 processes running. It is hard to keep XP under 20.
It will make your machine go a lot faster if you can get a handle on these vampire applications. If you always take the defaults you can end up with close to 100 things going at once. Programs you only use 2 or 3 times a year can end up in there all the time. I have seen machines that were "paging" (disk drive thrashing trying to keep up with memory requests) with nothing showing but the desk top.

Greg Fretwell
Trumpy Offline OP
Originally Posted by gfretwell
It just sounds like one more piece of software to crash your system.

Actually Greg,
I've never had a problem with this particular software (which is more than can be said for a few other "add-ons").

The biggest problems I've ever had with any of my computers is the actual OS, mainly XP, there seems to be all sorts of fish-hooks in that, that will crash your system and really make life hard for you.

Niether of my Linux (Ubuntu) computers have ever crashed or done a HDD in, unlike the 2 Windows computers I own.
That is why I use that for critical tasks, that need to keep running continuously.

G
I have my old windoze 98 machine in a drawer under this one (XP) and if I really need to get something done I turn it on.
Everything is on the network and I have a KVM switch

Greg Fretwell

Link Copied to Clipboard