ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 268 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
G
For years I've used galvanized tie wire to strap down mc, emt, etc., and I'm sure there used to be something in the code that said it was an approved method, if doubled or something.
I heard today that it went out in the early nineties and that tie wire is no longer an approved method. It seems like they have added cable tie wraps into the mix as an approved method, but don't say anything about using the fire rated red ones in the ceiling.
Can someone straighten me out on this? The inspector said if I could show him that tie wire was approved, he would accept it.
Tie wraps are easier, but way more expensive. I think the red ones are around $1 apiece, although I saw some metal type ones in Home Depot today at around $5 for 10. Would that work in ceilings?
I think the inspector would approve regular tie wraps in the ceiling but I know the red ones were required when I did some LV work.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
The "straps, staples, cable tie hanger" seems to apply to cables (AC & MC) but EMT just says "securely fastened". The other difference is the "designed so as to not damage the cable" language on the AC and MC. I am guessing they are worried about field methods like wire damaging cables.

Greg Fretwell
Y
The Definition of APPROVED is (Acceptable to authority having Jurisdiction).
When I was Inspecting I used to OK it (Doubledwrapped) on metal bar joists for EMT. It sure was a lot better the spring loaded caddy clips when tied dn right.
Yoopersup

L
I have never seen it approved for conduit support.
On the bottom of the joists? or in the webbing?

I could see in the webbing.

Y
Inside on the webbing, the listed spring loaded caddy clips the min. you bump the EMT you can hear the clip take off.
Remember the Definition of approved.
Not all conduit supports ect are listed,
Yoopersup

G
NEC 2005 358.30(A) is silent on what can be used to support EMT. It just says "securely fastened". I understand everything has to be "approved" by the AHJ but he is not getting guidance from 358 like he does in the articles covering cables where the "staples, clamps, cable ties ..." language is present.

Greg Fretwell

Link Copied to Clipboard