ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 264 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
P
Thanks for the warning NJwirenut

I have a sense of adventure, I just keep it leashed with common sense.
Originally Posted by NJwirenut
If that is a 0A2WA (and not a plain vanilla 0A2), please be careful not to break it. It contains a small amount of a radioactive material (Nickel-63, IIRC).

Now NJ, why did you want to post that in a public forum? laugh

Now the poor packrat56 is going to have the NRC* breathing down his neck... laugh

*=Nuclear Regulatory Commission

Last edited by mxslick; 04/21/09 06:27 PM.

Stupid should be painful.
Well in that case, we'd better get rid of all of our smoke detectors as well.

F
grin maybe if we can't have smoke alarm why not get pet bird and they are good smoke alarmers. MDR.,,,

Merci,Marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

G
"Those tubes are last generation vacuum tubes, probably from 1960's vintage gear."

Actually there was one more generation of tubes that survived well into the 70s, the compactron.
That was the equivalent of several tubes in one envelope.

They were in small TVs and one particular IBM monitor, the 2260 (a modified TV design licensed from Sanyo (or Samsung)

Greg Fretwell
Oddly enough,
I was reading in a Ham magazine that, there is a factory in the UK that is starting to build valves (tubes) again.

I have an old 1930's set in my workshop that I listen to the cricket on every summer, you can't beat the good sound that comes out of a valve set.
It is of course AM only.

This could be the reason why all of the Marshall guitar amps still use valve technology.

I say bring them back, my knowledge of valves is a lot better than transistors and what-not and to a degree the circuits they used are a LOT simpler to fix than some of this SMD stuff coming out these days. mad

One peeve though, the US valve codes are totally different to the British system, isn't it the way though? crazy

L
I say bring them back, my knowledge of valves is a lot better than transistors and what-not and to a degree the circuits they used are a LOT simpler to fix than some of this SMD stuff coming out these days.
Mike,

Be carefull how loud you say that. The same crowd that is outlawing incandescent lamps, will have a fit if they find out that you are using room heaters to listen to cricket.

Don't you know that tube radio energy consumption is the leading cause of global warming. smile

Larry C

G
Last generation ? What about the magnetron in your microwave ?

Originally Posted by LarryC
Mike,

Be carefull how loud you say that. The same crowd that is outlawing incandescent lamps, will have a fit if they find out that you are using room heaters to listen to cricket.

Ahh yes, the Energy Police, they are a branch of the Anti-Fun Police.

Besides, my radio is totally efficient, it gives sound and light (which is what I wanted in the first place) and seems it has a new lot of electrolytic capacitors (not the original paper type), someone should be paying me for the amount of energy I'm saving.
grin

Don't you know that tube radio energy consumption is the leading cause of global warming. smile

OK, with that line of thinking, we should require everyone to hand in all their gear that doesn't have transistors or IC's in it, I can see that working well clap

H
I seen the 6AL5 cleanly, I myself have a couple hundred tubes hangin around, as well as working tube radios.

Cliff
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard