ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 279 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
found here. Another man to make Darwin proud

Gwinnett man survives 35-foot power pole climb, slip

By ALAN JUDD

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Saturday, March 07, 2009

In retrospect, it must be hard for a 21-year-old Duluth man to see why this was a good idea.

Of course, hindsight isn’t only 20/20, it’s usually also sober.

Early Saturday morning, after what authorities believe was an evening of imbibing, the man walked out of his subdivision off Old Peachtree Road. In a nearby field, for reasons yet to become clear, he began climbing a tower that supports high-voltage power lines.

Ascending into the darkness, he ignored a companion’s suggestion that he had gone far enough.

Then something, maybe static electricity, sparked what neighbors described as an explosion and a flash fire.

Thirty-five feet off the ground, the man lost his footing.

He began falling.

But, somehow, the leg of his pants caught on the metal tower. He was dangling there, conscious, when Gwinnett County firefighters arrived just before 4 a.m.

Because of rough terrain, firefighters had to hike to the scene, said Capt. Thomas Rutledge, a fire department spokesman. The man’s friends and family waited in a cul-de-sac in the 2400 block of Twin Creek Court.

After Georgia Power shut off the electricity, three firefighters from the department’s technical rescue team climbed the tower. They used ropes and a harness to lower the man to the ground at 6:12 a.m.

He was in stable condition, with burns and cuts, at Grady Memorial Hospital in Atlanta, Rutledge said.

Police had filed no charges as of late Saturday, and authorities declined to identify the man. But they marveled at his escape from peril.

“When I say he was very fortunate,” Rutledge said, “there’s a lot behind that.”

Originally Posted by Lostazhell

“When I say he was very fortunate,” Rutledge said, “there’s a lot behind that.”

LOL.

Link Copied to Clipboard