ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 515 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Pantry: unlikely with a full sized window and beautiful wood ceiling. Otherwise that might make sense. It's hard to tell what happened there though as the previous owners split up said room into a hallway and bathroom.

To make things even more complicated: the house actually only has 4 rooms side by side. Large room, kitchen and two smaller rooms. According to a local whose aunt lived in the house in the 1950s and 60s the place wassplit into two units of two rooms (kitchen + bedroom) each with seperate entrances from the street.
However, the back two rooms were not connected until 1976... one of them only had a door into the back yard. The other of the two has an old door leading into the kithen - which supposedly belonged to the other unit... weird. Just weird. Oh, and the ingenious light swtich and socket would have ended up in different units according to his description - but it must have been installed while the place was split up... no idea what actually happened there.

T
Some updates... I managed to repair the "screwed up conduit". Actually most of the run wasn't original anyway, only the short stick from the junction box up to the ceiling was Bergmann conduit, the run inside the ceiling was PVC, so I managed to replace that piece with PVC. In the living room none of the wiring collides with the plumbing, so I did the complete roughin. 1976 to now the room only had outlets on two walkls, now there are two on each wall (originally it had one in total, the second one was in the kitchen, other than that the place had none... no wonder one circuit was enough).

I also had to disconnect the kitchen as we removed the lowered ceiling and the light feed attached to it (exposed conduit). That means the old wiring is by now reduced to the yard light and the outbuildings.

Turned out the wires in the cellar weren't actually live - the mystery splice wasn't a splice any more, the wire ends had been taped, folded back into the conduit and plastered over... apparently the original splice had just been in a hole in the wall with a cover slapped over it. And one of the cords was actually 3w+ground, so no illegal happenings here.

Considering how many circuits I'm going to install I wonder whether I should throw all my principles overboard and run at least the feeds up in the attic and then down into each room (that's not the way it was done in the good old days, and since I consider wiring of the good old days very easy to trace and neat to work with I usually try to follow those old guidelines).

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard