ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 287 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 5
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#184548 02/12/09 10:18 PM
I had a friend who always bolts his transformers to the floor, but was questioned by another electrician whether it was necessary...we'd like to know if there is a reference in the CEC about having to bolt transformers to the floor or perhaps a building code requirement under "seismic"?

Thanks, any feedback would be appreciated!

M
Well we don't lean the panels against the wall either. All equipment has to be securly mounted.

The building code defines these things and in a seismic area the rules are stricter often requiring snubbers and seismic rated anchors etc.
2-118 refers us to Appendix G which are the many Building code references.

I can tell you that they must be secured but it surprises me that the rule that says so is not so easy to find and I will be looking.

E
26-248(1)Transformers of the dry-core open-ventilated type shall be mounted so that there is an air space of not less than 150mm between.............
26-240(4)Transformers shall be protected from mechanical damage.
I'd say either one of those covers it

Last edited by Eddy Current; 03/22/09 12:00 AM.
T
twh Offline
I carry a hot glue gun just for the purpose of mounting transformers on the floor. It also provides mechanical protection by providing some "give" if a fork lift hits it.

I'm not advocating leaning panels against the wall, but I've seen a few transformers hung by threaded rod from the ceiling and they move quite freely. Sitting on the floor is way more secure - without glue.

The other electrician, in the original post, has a good point. Are there any rules about mounting transformers? What is secure?

G
If it's suspended by unistrut on threaded rod it's always bolted to the unistrut. If bolting's good enough for the hanging ones it's good enough for the floor mounted ones.

Ghost307
M
Originally Posted by ghost307
If it's suspended by unistrut on threaded rod it's always bolted to the unistrut. If bolting is good enough for the hanging ones it's good enough for the floor mounted ones.

Be careful about that assumption. A transformer hanging from a ceiling might likely survive a seismic event where the one bolted to the floor does not. For example the hole that the bolt goes through can act as a bolt cutter if the hole is larger than the bolt. The side to side motion of a transformer can hammer on the bolt and shear it off. Bolts are much stronger in stretch than shear. the hanging transformer and its suspension will give in a shaker where the bolts on the floor mounted transformer shear off because it is more rigid.

Y
Ummmm Then do you Require Large MCC sections or Switchgear to be Bolted to the Floor also?? What if its mounted on Steel Rails like a lot are in Factorys?? Do you then require it be Welded to the rails????

In California, you'd get a big fat red tag for not bolting down transformers, MCCs or switchgear......

The inspector would probably walk away shaking his head, laughing.

Y
Then in California do they Require Gear WELDED to rails when gears set on them???
Do you know what I mean by metal rails???

G
When I was at GE, we'd void your warranty if you didn't bolt down the MCC, Switchboards and Switchgear.

Ghost307
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard