ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 533 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Just a thought...
Would a combo AFCI have tripped under the conditions of this accident?

John
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

B
"Track record? I think not ... 'freak accident' seems more appropriate.

There is a limit to "practical" safeguarding."

You are correct, insofar as there is a limit to 'practical' safeguarding. To me, it is very practical to require bonding a metal stud wall. What's it cost? 40 cents worth of wire? How long does it take? 30 seconds or less. What does it do? Protect against a one in a million fatality, of which one occurrence is documented. To me, that's reasonable regulation.

Here is what would be unreasonable regulation: suppose the drywall screw was the only element energized by the romex. Suppose a painter or drywall man touched it and got killed. That, to me, is a totally freak accident, and completely impossible to regulate against in any practical sense. That is a one in a billion accident.

Potentially energizing a metal stud wall is easy to prevent and a prudent regulatory measure, in my opinion. Besides, suppose you take the position that it isn't necessary to require that a metal stud wall be grounded, regardless of the death. Then, six months later, it happens again. What to you tell the victim's family?

Last edited by Bigplanz; 03/19/09 09:32 PM.
G
The code is based on the idea that you need several things to go wrong before you present a hazard. In this case there was really only one mistake, either not maintaining the 1.25" setback or using a 2" screw. Take your pick.
The picture I saw showed this in the corner of the framing and it was hard to figure out how far it was from the surface of the closest framing.

John, I see no reason why the AFCI would have tripped until the victim had taken 30ma of fault current.

Greg Fretwell
B
According to the article, it was a 1 1/8th inch screw, but looking at the picture, I think it was a 1 1/4 inch screw. In any event, it certainly was a rare event.

K
KJay Offline OP
Originally Posted by Bigplanz
I think the language adopted by Florida in re: bonding metal studs would be a good addition to the next NEC revision. Pretty simple, pretty cheap, and would eliminate the risk of energizing a metal studded wall section. Just require one metal, grounded box attached to each partition/section, thus grounding the whole section. That should be pretty cheap to implement, and, as the news story about the tragic death of the dryer installer demonstrates, this is an issue occasionally.

I agree, but I think it's too late for the next code cycle anyway, that is unless someone has already submitted a similar proposal.
So now that I think about it... wouldn't this mean that even if the NEC wanted to address this issue at all, it would have to wait until 2014 anyway?

My how the wheels of change grind slowly along in a bureaucracy... unless of course, it comes to something like handing out taxpayer dollars like a giant Pez dispenser or changing the tax code, which can seemingly be done overnight. But that's another bedtime story.

B
Some think the NEC is revised too frequently. smile Of course, it isn't a government mandated or even created code. It is simply adopted by many government agencies (as it should be) because it is the most comprehensive and thorough set of model regulations governing electrical installations. Regardless of whether it is required or not, I think it is simply good sense to bond a metal stud partition. It costs little, and can mean so very much.

L

I agree, but I think it's too late for the next code cycle anyway, that is unless someone has already submitted a similar proposal.
So now that I think about it... wouldn't this mean that even if the NEC wanted to address this issue at all, it would have to wait until 2014 anyway?

[/quote]

Great example to promote Gregs' view of a 5 or 10 year code.
The new code is being written and half the country doesn't even know the current one.

Lee:

"Great example to promote Gregs' view of a 5 or 10 year code.
The new code is being written and half the country doesn't even know the current one."

I had a student ask last nite...'why are you (me) basing this class on the 2008 NEC, when NJ has not adopted it yet'

Last I heard from DCA the '08 was still pending adoption'.

John
Greg:

"John, I see no reason why the AFCI would have tripped until the victim had taken 30ma of fault current."

Would not a combo AFCI have detected this situation as a series fault, as it appears the screw hit the 'hot'?? I'm under the impression that a series arc (break/nick) in one conductor will cause a trip, and a parallel arc between two conductors will cause a trip, hence "combo". Is my summation correct, or am I not seeing something? Please remember, AFCI's are not required here in NJ yet...

John
G
Final thought from me on this subject. It is of course a tragedy that anyone would get hurt or worse killed. It could have been prevented possibly and there is no way of knowing of the numerous things that can happen. As an inspector, I can not ask a contractor to do something that appears to be a good idea. As a contractor I am hesitant to do something different than code because I think it is a good idea. If the code panel is convinced by way of substantiation that the code needs to be changed, it will be changed. The code is a reactive document not a proactive one.

George Little
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard