ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#185364 03/12/09 10:56 AM
A
AZSam Offline OP
Read where a thief in Spartanburg, SC was sentenced to 60 years for copper thefts amounting to about $5,000, but did damage of over $200,000.

B
Something definitely needs to be done about copper theft, but I don't know if 60 years in prison for a non-violent crime is the solution. At an average cost to keep someone in prison excess of $40,000/year, this is going to cost taxpayers well over $2 million to keep him incarcerated. I'd be more inclined to let him go free, BUT require him to maintain employment and pay $10,000 a year (or more) back to the entity that he stole from.

To sentence a guy to essentially life in prison for stealing/damages to the tune of $205,000 compared to what sentences are awarded for really serious crimes just doesn't seem equitable. Then again, what about all these investment bankers and CEO's that are pillaging their companies in the tens of millions with nothing more than a slap on the hand. But that's a subject for a whole new thread. mad

Cat Servant
Isn't it amazing? A few points rise in the market price, and we suddenly have far more "recycling" than we can handle! All done without having a 'commissioner,' or submitting invoices to some "green" group for their approval.

Otherwise, I'll not shed any tears for the convicted. Hard and unfair? Perhaps it seems that way - to him. Let's not forget all the hardship he unfairly inflicted upon his victims.

That others may evade punishment for their crimes has nothing to do with this. Indeed, I'd rather the fugitives fear, rather than the criminal have confidence in striking a 'deal' at our expense.

Enforced employment? Let me get this right ... the employer can lay off the law-abiding, but the crook would be guaranteed a job? I think not.

G
That metal thieving thing seems to have fallen off to nothing around here. I had some aluminum sitting in front of my house for free for a week and finally the trash man took it.

Greg Fretwell
Greg:
Matter of fact, I had two EC's commenting that the 'scraps' that would be gone before it hit the floor....are still laying on the jobsite for 2 days.

John
M
On my street in the last month we have had the copper grounds from the pole transfomrers cut from the ground rod to about 6 feet up the pole on 4 of the 6 transformers.

Its been called in twice and the utility doesent seem to be in any hurry to come out and fix them either.

I'm surprised that the metal thieves haven't made off with the pure copper catenary lines they are installing along the new MAX line on I-205 here in Portland... A couple guys, a ladder and a truck could make off with a lot of copper very quickly.

L
Prices have dropped. Remember &3.75/lb.
Thieves are lazy.

A
The SC case sounds like an urban legend - The facts should be easy to check - SC and town are listed, but no name - generally a clue that it's a hoax

G
SPARTANBURG, S.C. -- A South Carolina man has been sentenced to 60 years in prison after pleading guilty to more than 85 charges related to copper thefts around Spartanburg.

The 7th Circuit Solicitor's office said that Jackie Anderson Jr., 27, also violated probation, so he won't be eligible for parole.

Prosecutors said Anderson took plumbing and air conditioner parts, mostly from low-income housing.

http://www.wyff4.com/spartanburgnewsroom/18905411/detail.html#-

Greg Fretwell
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard