ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
G
The high voltage lines behind my house have a unique solution for this. The grounding conductor is cast inside the concrete poles. I will have to get look at the concrete poles by the side of the road.

Greg Fretwell
M
Just checked my emails and found a follow up email from our local utility call center saying "the district office is aware of the problem and a large number of cables have been cut in the district."

I wonder if these guys do the thefts in broad daylight as most people would not question somebody with a hard hat, reflective vest, ladder and unmarked truck with all the contracting out going on.

They could use microdots. These are impossible to entirely remove and ensure that thieves or fences can be caught, even if they chip the copper. Though once the avenue for turning scrap into cash is curtailed, the problem will move elewhere, unfortunately.
http://www.hpicheck.com/theftguard.html

Last edited by Alan Belson; 06/14/12 10:59 AM.

Wood work but can't!
T
You'd have to put microdots along the entire length of the actual copper conductor and every single wire would have to be registered somehow, at least the owner needs to keep track of the numbers. I really can't see that being used on a large scale. If only one end of the conductor is microdotted, thieves will soon know that, check for microdots using a blacklight and cut the offending short piece of copper away.

Forcing all scrap yards to only accept dotted copper would be an even bigger effort, besides, there will be un-dotted old copper wires for quite some time.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard