ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
S
I've installed Seagull ambiance linear cable lighting systems in the past for cove lighting. I put in a 24 volt system with 5watt bulbs at 3 per foot which provided great lighting in a large family room. Owner could read a book with no other lighting on in the room. Kichler now makes a similar product.

I have another project with 56feet of cove and the material with 3 lights per foot is $1500 +/-

I am thinking of looking to fiber for cost savings and ease of relamping.

Anyone ever installed fiber on similar projects? I looking for helpfull input.

Thanks

shortcircuit

SC:
Only did a few fiber installs on IG pools, (linear)perimeter under coping. results were good & owners were happy. Materials were supplied by pool contractors, so I have no $$ idea.

As to cove, I see the 'tube' being installed here & there, and a few "Starfire" custom jobs that are real $$$$.

Selling point for the tube is a low initial cost, decent life, and throw out and replace when needed.

John
S
Hotline...thanx for the feedback. I did some research and the cost of Fiber or linear was to much for the owner. There are some great products for the application,but mostly used in high end residential or commercial applications. The customer ended up going with LED rope lighting at 15% of the cost of fiber or linear.

I am shocked at the cost of linear lighting. Seagull, Kichler and CSL are manufacturers I looked into. Anywhere from $900 to $2200 in parts for a 60ft cove depending on the number of lamp holders used. It consists of #10 gauge wire, little plastic lamp holders, lamps and a transformer. The markup must be huge.

A company in Florida, (SVlighting) makes the Fiber materials which came to about $1600 for 75ft of SV84 sideglow cable, a 150watt MH projector and some associated hardware.

shortcircuit

Last edited by shortcircuit; 03/07/09 01:23 PM.
SC:

Yes, it's pricey stuff....comm (resturants/lounges)
I see a lot of the tubes in McMansions; Ho's opted for the economical choice.

BTW, I assure that it is approved for indoor use, & UL listed/labeled & wired accordingly

If you run into any LED requests, check out 'BETA Lighting', there's reference to them in one of the photo threads.

John
G
I looked at everything for my house and ended up with rope light. It is cheap enough to just throw away when it goes bad. I put switched receptacles in the cove and plugged it in.

Greg Fretwell
S
seems i go through the same routine everytime i'm asked about 'special lighting' needs...

it's too bad there isn't some sort of electricians consumer report that deals exclusively with lighting fixtures.

~S~

Link Copied to Clipboard