ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 466 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
sparky Offline OP
Originally Posted by renosteinke

Guys, we can't expect codes to spell out every detail, make every decision for us. Folks have to be able to use their 'common sense,' then be able to explain their positions in a manner that any 12 strangers are likely to understand, and agree with.

well i often wonder who the nec is being written to Reno, while some parts are intrical engineering level calculation, others seem to be geared to legaleese

for instance, i'm sure you recall the redefining of fixture to luminaire... one of our best examples.....

i always imagine some whimsical scene where some sparky is explaining the toliet on the cieling to a scrutinizing inspector....

but i digress, here, what might be the most prevealant 'sleeve seen is the well guys use of the same black H2O pipe they use to bring the water lines in

it seems like everyone simply acknowlegdes what they repetitively see as being acceptable ....~S~

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

H
My thoughts was, if the piece of conduit is less than 10' it is a sleeve for protection of a wire. If you need more than 10' to protect the wire, then run a conduit and be done with the issue. How is that for an answer? smile

S
sparky Offline OP
i would say that would be considered the norm Harold
~S~

H
Someone posted "Does it have to be electrical material to be a sleeve." Or something like that. Well IMHO if you just use it for a sleeve, then NO! It doesn't have to be UL listed or labeled for electrical work. After all you can use a piece of wood to support, or protect a piece of wire and that is not UL labeled for electrical work. NOW if you were installing THHN wires in a water pipe, should that pass inspection? I don't think so. However a great big piece of 4" Plumbers pipe under a driveway and the EC slips a piece of UF through it, what's that harm? We need to use a little common sense when we inspect these jobs. ( I would hope!)

H
John,

Where have you seen 20'lengths of EMT? Are they UL listed and labeled? If they are then I wouldn't care if they were used for Physical protection.

HE

Harold:
Yes, there are 20' lengths of EMT available. It's marketed as a 'cost saver'.

Yes, it is UL listed/labeled. It's available in red for FA work also.

John
Harold,

Here's a link.

http://www.wheatland.com/cdrom/emt.html

They've even got a cost savings calculator.

C
Guys, we can't expect codes to spell out every detail, make every decision for us. Folks have to be able to use their 'common sense,' then be able to explain their positions in a manner that any 12 strangers are likely to understand, and agree with.

If only more people thought like that. It seems that the creation of an environment where everything is so complicated that there is no common sense is what is being sought after these days.

All in the name of profit, err I mean safety of course.

"If only more people thought like that. It seems that the creation of an environment where everything is so complicated that there is no common sense is what is being sought after these days.

Perhaps it may be time to attempt to get "common sense" into the NEC!

John
C
Good luck!

There's no money/control for those with the lobbying power in that plan.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard