ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 520 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Electrical inspectors told me (I asked) that the most common homeowner/handyman code errors are romex used outdoors, no GFCI's where required, stringing romex in the basement on the underside of floor joists, no knockouts/cable clamps in holes in boxes, and, the worst of the worst, using the ground wire as a current carrying conductor.

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
G
Romex gets a bad rap and the NEC actually rates it very conservatively but the lack of a real body count from all of that abuse seems to say it is a pretty safe wiring method.
Just one point. You have lots of rules about supporting, protection from damage prohibition of use outside etc but it is the legal wiring method of choice for temporary wiring on a construction site and we know how wire gets abused there.

Greg Fretwell
G
One thing that I do like about EMT is how accomodating it is for those last minute "I'd like that to be a 3-way" type of changes. Just rip the wires out and pull something different in. No tearout or drywall work needed.

On the downside, sometimes it's a real PITA to get the EMT through studs or get the bends to end up exactly where you want them; and there's no way around the "4 bends" rule like there is when I've got a 100' roll of Romex to work from.

Ghost307
S
On the downside, sometimes it's a real PITA to get the EMT through studs or get the bends to end up exactly where you want them;

boy you can say that again Ghost. I've had a few commercial jobs here running pipe through wood studs, use a lotta couplings.....~S~

G
That is why god invented smurf tube ;-)

I have already snaked another wire in one of my Smurfs on an addition I did last summer and my wife hasn't even finished decorating.

Greg Fretwell
S
actually i've just started smurfing those jobs that don't know what it'll evolove into Greg.

Incidentally i was turned onto it via a FLA sparky whom has been in town now for a while. I said to him @ morning coffee that i could always tell his installs by the s-tube he used

he said i should try it because it's all the rage down south

so i guess maybe it's kinda like Grits & Okra...:) ~S~

G
One reason smurf is popular here is you can pour it into the solid concrete tie beams we use. If nothing else it is the wiring method of choice for the outside lights by garage doors.

Greg Fretwell
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard