ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
I have a commercial garage, that was done by an unlicensed electrican, without permits and was caught. So I get to be clean up guy. Clean up is going well except for this one issue that has me scratching my head...

"Provide fault current data & calculations & arc flash incident energy at working distance calculations at site for electrical inspection purposes."

This is just a plain repair shop. Plugs, lights, 2 lifts and me with no idea how to do these calculations.:)

Shake n Bake
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Trick:
You can get some info on KAIC calcs at:

http://www.bussman.com/2/CooperBussmannLiterature.html

The 'SPD' and 'Plan Review' items provide a basic intro to
fault current calcs; point to point method.

The literature used to be 'free'; now I see 'purchase'. I have a few of these; 'either 02 or '05, if you're not in a big rush. PM me if you want.

The flash boundry calcs are not something I know how to do; I think it's best left to an engineer.

Why does the AHJ want all the calcs?

Last edited by HotLine1; 03/04/09 06:43 PM.

John

You can calculate the fault current available with this calculator from Siemens:

https://www.sea.siemens.com/consultant/docs/DA_SC_Calculator_V1.1.xls

You'll need to know the serving transformer's voltage, size and impedance, and the length, size, and conductor material of the feeder.

T
Thanks for the info and the calculator.

Originally Posted by HotLine1
Trick:

I think thats the owners reward for not hiring a contractor and pulling permits. That and some additional inspection hours hes charging him for inspections.

Shake n Bake
G
Good Luck on getting the Available Fault current information on the transformer from the utility. They quit giving that out. "In the interest of saving money" Talk to Darrick.

George Little
L
Originally Posted by Trick440
Thanks for the info and the calculator.

Trick:

I think thats the owners reward for not hiring a contractor and pulling permits. That and some additional inspection hours hes charging him for inspections.

Funny how that works! perfectly legal as well! smile

I have never been asked for such information and have yet to find anyone who understands the new 70E statutes.

Misconceptions abound.I try,my head spins and off I go...Oh well.

G
Here in ComEd territory the biggest 208V transformer that you can get from them is 750KVA. We just assume the fault current based on that and call it good we you can't get the actual value from the local utility.

Ghost307
S
You may be able to use the generic information for the arc flash hazard analysis if you meet all the requirements in NFPA 70E 130.3 exception #1. Otherwise you need an Electrical Engineer who has done the calcs before. The fault current used by assuming infinite source before the transformer (as for figuring minimum AIC rating for equipment) may easily leave you under protected during arc fault (see printed info from people such as Peter Walsh and Jim Phillips).

To do the AIC calculations, the above information is good.

Last edited by sabrown; 03/03/09 01:08 PM.
J
JBD Offline
Trick:
You can get some info on KAIC calcs...

Allow me to be picky. The correct phrase is "you can get some info on SCA calcs...".
AIC means Amps Interrupting Capacity - this is a rating supplied by the manufacturer you can not calculate it. It is only available by testing.
SCA is Short Circuit Amps - this is what you calculate.
SCCR is Short Circuit Current Rating - this equipment rating can be determined in the field.
NEC 110.9 and 110.10 require that your equipment be rated for the available SCA.

If you want an entire copy of the Bussmann 2008 SPD you have to pay for it. However I have found that you can download the individual sections, one at a time, for free.

JBD:
OK, you are allowed to be picky!

SCA that you calc result in a shall we say amperage figure that you use to determine the AIC of the buss bracing, and the OCP; right?

Based on the above I used the term KAIC, which is the basic end result of the calcs.

Perhaps my bad choice of terms.

John
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard