ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
M
I asked my electrical supplier if they could find a breaker for an old square D XO panel. They were able to find one in California. I had it next day'ed to me. For some reason, I never expected it to come in the original box.

[Linked Image from electrical-photos.com]

MG:
I have to ask, if you don't mind....how much???

I have to say I have never seen one in a box!

John
M
I paid just a few dollars over $100.00. I'm not sure of the exact number, $103, $105? I actually expected to pay more. I've paid quite a bit more for odd ball stuff before.

The company my supplier purchased it from was California Breakers. I know this because my supplier had it drop shipped right to my office and the company enclosed the invoice to my supplier in the box (oops). At least I now know that my supplier doesn't gouge me on the special order stuff:). California Breakers has a web site but no way to search their inventory online.

Thank you!

I had about 12-15 'used' XO's that I held on to for years, basically for replacements, but....all they did was collect dust.

It's interesting that there are still new ones floating around, although at more than 10 times the original $$. Need supercedes cost.

John
M
I'd do all I could to encourage the owner to replace that panel. I have seen a couple of destroyed XO panels. They did get wet and i am sure that was a big contributer to the failures. Part of the breaker insulation is paper. The panels usually have no main so I really hate them as a service entry.

M
Not too sure how good or reliable they are, but I have seen quite a few Square D and Cutler Hammer XO - style breakers for sale on eBay. Like I say, I'm not sure how great an idea it is to buy something like this on eBay.

Regarding the lack of a main breaker, I bought an old Square D XO panel and breakers on eBay some time back (to add to my collection). The branch breakers were XO, but there was also a 2 pole 70 amp "multibreaker" style main installed. An unusual combination, but in excellent condition.

Mike (mamills)

Link Copied to Clipboard