ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#184845 02/23/09 09:13 PM
R
Need some help. Are there voltage ranges for a coil? I have a 3 phase 208 volt 3 hp motor with a NEMA Size 1 contactor with a 208 volt coil and a start/stop built in.
After the initial smoking of the coil, it had a 24volt coil instead of the 208 volt varity the box label stated. Lesson learned...
Anyway, I now have the correct coil but it won't pull in, it chatters. I read the voltage to actually be about 225 volts between phases which is not something I have come across much in this neighborhood.
Is there a "range" that the coil should work in? This started as a simple "favor" for a friend and it is turning into more of a time consuming problem.
Any input is appreciated.

G
Chattering is often the result of installing a DC coil on an AC control circuit.
When the drops to zero (before reversing polarity) the coil loses its field and the contactor starts to spring back open.

Ghost307
G
Is this the type with a pick and hold coil, selected by a side switch? You may be wired to the hold side.

Greg Fretwell
S
i am experiencing the same problem with a set of contactors that control heating elements for a water heater.they keep chattering .even after replacement.i am now in the process of replacing them with a larger contactor 70a instead of 50a .i am thinking that the load is to much for the contactor.im not sure if this is helpful to you.im not sure if the higher voltage would effect the contacts inside the contactor.

J
JBD Offline
Load does not affect the contactor sealing in.

The three most common reasons that contactors make noise are:
Low coil voltage. Most coils will pull in at 85% and drop out at 65%.
Jammed mechanism from dust or worn slides.
And probably the most common; rust, dirt, or scratches on the magnet poles faces which prevent them from mating correctly.

JBD #184860 02/24/09 10:02 AM
S
It could simply be defective from the factory. We ran into a few defective chattering contactor solenoids last year in an application where problems like that are unheard of (high-end UPS systems).

It can be hard to tell the difference between a wrong part and a defective one, especially if you're pulling the replacements from the same defective batch.

J
JBD Offline
One more question.

You say it does not pull in, it just chatters.
Do you mean that it chatters while you hold the Start button in and then it drops out when you release the button?
Not holding in would be caused by a bad holding circuit contact or a wiring error.
Chattering, like rapid pickup then dropout, could be a wiring error where a contact from the starter is actually turning the circuit off instead of holding the circuit on.

JBD #184880 02/24/09 10:24 PM
M
Most contactors are equiped with a shaded pole. This shaded pole holds the contactor shut while the AC current crosses the zero point. If it is chattering, this is the first thing that I would look for...

G
got my attention...

Greg Fretwell
S
Originally Posted by mb95307
Most contactors are equiped with a shaded pole. This shaded pole holds the contactor shut while the AC current crosses the zero point. If it is chattering, this is the first thing that I would look for...
How does that work, are there two solenoids in the contactor, one with a straight winding and one with a shaded pole?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard