ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
They can size the 120/240 center tapped transformer to what your expected load is. Typically it is a 37 or 50 in the installations I see and they put in something smaller for the 3p loads.
[Linked Image from gfretwell.com]

Where we got in trouble was some of the DP equipment had 3P line cords but contained a significant amount of single phase load. Tape controllers were the worst because the satellite drives could be plugged into any one of 8 receptacles in the controller. As long as you plugged them in in sequence or had a "full boat" they were fairly well balanced but if someone only had a couple drives and they weren't careful to balance them you could corrupt the red leg balance.

Greg Fretwell
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

P
pdh Offline OP
I still want to avoid three phase power at home. So I guess the thing to do is make sure I don't build a mega mansion. OTOH, if I were that rich, I could afford to bring in 480/277 and waste power transforming it to whatever I wanted grin

Actually, If I had that kind of money, I'd more likely be doing something off-grid, anyway.

G
That is why delta is the best choice. You can run your big loads 240/3p and your 120/240 panel stays the same.

Greg Fretwell
J
JBD Offline
Originally Posted by gfretwell
That is why delta is the best choice. You can run your big loads 240/3p and your 120/240 panel stays the same.

Be careful with your words, not all deltas are centered tapped.
I was at a facility, in October, that had both a 240V delta grounded B-phase 3PH 3W and a 120/240 1Ph 3W services.

G
I assumed we were talking center tapped delta.
There are also times I could make a case for corner delta.
If your equipment is good for 208, then wye makes sense but you can have harmonic problems on the L/N loads.
All of these have good points and bad points depending on your customer. That's why the PoCo still sells them all.

Greg Fretwell
J
JBD Offline
Originally Posted by pdh
My understanding is that 240 delta with one side center tapped for 120/240 had a limitation that the single phase loads could be no more than 5% to 10% of the total transformer capacity. It's certainly not a choice for buildings that have all or nearly all single phase loads, but so much load that the PoCo puts them in the "must use 3 phase" category.

The 5% loading restriction only exists on center-tapped delta transformers that share a common core. In recent years several manufacturers have starting building some center-tapped single phase units that do not have this 5% restriction.

Transformer banks created by using multiple single phase units may be sized to handle any mix of 3-phase and 1-phase loads.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard