ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 278 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
N
nrp3 Offline OP
I am bidding a job that may have daylight harvesting controls. I brought in a lighting designer that is including it in the lighting package. I have never worked with any of these controls before and want it to work well for the customer. Its only one part of facility (a health club) with glass on three sides of this area with high ceilings.

Like most new technology, it sounds great, but implementing it might be another thing, never having used it before. I'd rather drop it from the bid before I install something that will be a headache

Originally Posted by nrp3
I am bidding a job that may have daylight harvesting controls. I brought in a lighting designer that is including it in the lighting package. I have never worked with any of these controls before and want it to work well for the customer. Its only one part of facility (a health club) with glass on three sides of this area with high ceilings.

Like most new technology, it sounds great, but implementing it might be another thing, never having used it before. I'd rather drop it from the bid before I install something that will be a headache

OK, this one was new to me. Here's a quote: "The concept of daylight harvesting is simple. Digital photo sensors detect daylight levels and automatically adjust the output level of electric lighting to create a balance. The goal is energy savings."

The quote is from this site which I found via a Google search. At first glance, it sounds useful and practical. confused

N
nrp3 Offline OP
At first glance... I like learning new things, but not using my customers as guinea pigs either.

S
This seems to be a fairly innocuous way to test new technology, and if you have a lighting designer onboard, you have the right expertise. Propose it to the customer, and make it clear that it's cutting edge new technology, and let them make the call. If they're asking for it already... then they're willing to accept the risk that comes with it because the energy paybacks make it worthwhile.

N
nrp3 Offline OP
I had a meeting with the supplier, the designer and the customer and they presented the customer with the idea. The customer was told his other facility was had too much lighting.

This whole package is tied to utility rebates and possibly tax incentives as well.

The concept of daylight harvesting is not at all new technology. It's alive and well in California. In fact it's one of requirements of our energy requirements for non-residential buildings.

You might as well get used to the idea.....it will be in your neighborhood soon : bash grin

L
I did a 5 story parking garage with open side all the way around it. We had those sensors to turn off the outer rows of lights based on the amount of sunlight entering the structure. This was a few years ago in Maryland

N
nrp3 Offline OP
Not a suprise that this will likely be the way of the future. Just like hear from some people who have installed it and how much did it take to set it up properly.

Have it in a <6 month old Wal-Mart in NJ. Lot's of 'skylights' for the interior of the big box; dimmable fluorescent. Looks great with comfortable light levels

John
N
nrp3 Offline OP
I don't think we will be adding skylights, just working with the large amount glass already there. My biggest concern is with all the control wiring and commisioning of the systems/calibration. I have found this self contained system that fits in the fixture by axis technologies. Its been put in a few big name installations, though I'd like to see it for myself and talk to the facilities personnel to get an unbiased opinion.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard