ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#184714 02/19/09 01:53 AM
M
Merlin Offline OP
I know this is a little off the topic. I have a customer that is looking for lock boxs to put over their programmable thermostats in a rental hall. They want ones that the renter can adjust the temp up/down but cannot mess with the programming. Does anyone know of a source. So far all I can find is the ones that totaly lock them out.

Merlin:
Can't say I have item for you, but..
I modified a t'stst cover to only allow access to the temp up/down buttons and not the other controls.
Depending on the t'stat you have, and how much time and work you can invest that may be your only choice.

The other option is to install a 'slave/master' t'stat. Lock the master & the slave unit could control temp adjustments only.

John
Z
Try Grainger.com. I've installed them before, but not for quite a while. I'm sure they still have them in their catalog.

Good Luck!

A
These things are a personal peeve of mine. They are usually installed with the temp set at an inappropriate value. Conference rooms come quickly to mind where a janitor or service person rushing around and often carrying a large load of stuff (and hot) sets a temp WAY to LOW for a group of sedentary perople attending a talk for several hours, most of the time I am freezing in these places. I have over the years developed several methods to defeat these using regular materials that usually would be present at a conference room. Most often I use the chewed end of a plastic coffee stirrer straw that has been extended by putting the end of one stirrer into another, poke chewed end through slots and you can adjust the temp setting up or down depending on the side of entrance of the straw.

K
I have never seen a guard like that before for any electronic thermostat, only a complete cover assembly.
However, I have seen programmable thermostats that have variable security features you can program to provide functions like that. One that comes to mind is the White Rodgers Touchscreen series. These are around $230.00 a piece though, so may not be an option.

G
think the easiest answer was upthread a ways. Put in a programmable, under a locked cover to set the upper or lower limit, depending on heat or cool and then let them have a T87 out in the open in series with the locked one to modify that with (and give them the illusion they are controlling something)

Greg Fretwell
Thanks Greg, that's what I was trying to say!

John
M
Merlin Offline OP
John, thats exactly what i was thinking about doing. cutting a hole in the front to allow access. I have seen these before but maybe that is what they done also. I have a customer that has a "community center" that they use for meetings. They want the "community" to be able to adjust as they are there but it still go back down at set time and such. I think this is the most economical thing to do aside from changing thermostats. Thanks for all the comments.

Kevin

Link Copied to Clipboard