ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#184626 02/14/09 03:30 PM
Y
Wheres the best priceing on this book>>
They run from $120.00 To over $200 from what I see.

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
G
NFPA prices are ridiculous on all of their products

Greg Fretwell
K
I got a flyer in the mail a few days ago from the NFPA for the 2009 70E. If you're a member the price is $109.35 for the 70E Handbook or $121.50 for non-members.
You can also get both the regular 70E book and the 70E Handbook as a set for $128.93 for members or $143.25 for non-members. The shipping charge is the same $8.95 for either. Also, the flyer says that these prices are valid through 06/30/09.

Cat Servant
Check the ECN store ... we have several 70-E related publications, including at least four from the NFPA.

S
At least NFPA has all their documents free for viewing online now, that's at least nice. I wish ICC and IEEE would do the same. Guess it shows where "public safety" falls in with "profits". Aren't they all non-profit organizations? How can it possibly cost that much to upddate and publish these code books?

G
'Non-profit' doesn't necessarily mean what you think it means.
It just means that at the end of the fiscal year everything is spent (or planned to be spent).

I remember 1 non-profit quasi-goverment agency that took in SCADS of money. They had the absolute nicest offices in the most gorgeous building...and had a great blowout of a holiday party right before the fiscal year closed out.
So long as they ended up broke on the last day of the fiscal year...all was well.

BTW, I agree that the books should be A LOT cheaper, especially now that publishing is done on PCs and printing is no longer the nightmare that it used to be.

Ghost307
G
I have said many times NFPA is committed to code churn and the sale of books a lot more than safety.
A whole industry has come up around making sure the codes are as confusing as possible and that constant education and book replacement is required of as many people as possible.

In another thread it was asked, how much less safe would we be if the 1940 code was actually enforced.

Greg Fretwell
Y
Sorry I don't feel that way. I;ve been a licensed inspector over 30 yrs, instructor off & on over 15 or so years & licensed in several states& in the trade almost 45 years. I;ve seen work done by unqualifed people with a limited info . I think the codes & required update classes ect give the customers a much better quality of work & installation., with up to date products. I didn't see VFD drives in my 1940 NEC did you??
By thw way the purchased the 70-E handbook & reg .book for $128.93 & $8.95 shipping thur NFPA .

S
In another thread it was asked, how much less safe would we be if the 1940 code was actually enforced

better that than the enforcement disparity we all are living in now

then again, i was told i was the ambassador of the code when i was licensed here

trust me, if you run a biz where enforcement is lopsided, it's more like the captain of the titanic ....

~S~

Sparky:
Please explain "where enforcement is lopsided". How do you mean that? Some areas with no inspections? Unfair enforcement? 'Hacks' getting away with work? or???

John
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard