ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
well HotOne, i can think of a few enforcement disparites that are common, probably the one most would relate to would be living on a state border where there is enforcement on one side, and not the other.

or where commercial/industrial work gets inspected , and residential does not

or where the 'maintenence man' loophole allows for industry to exploit hacks

or what is imho the worst, where the law exists, but there is no one to enforce it

In light of having to deal with these since the day i walked into this trade, i'd glady conceed to any consistency

oh, to add here, years ago i took it upon myself to obtain 70E, and study up.

few of my counterparts here know that it even exists....

~S~

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
Sparky:
The border area here is pretty well protected; most Jersey guys stay on this side of the Hudson river. As to the Delaware river side....some of Pa is wide open, major metro areas are protected.

Here in NJ, all work (resi/comm/ind) requires permits & inspections; 'perfect world scenario' (I'm a dreamer)

Maint. men...we have them too.

Enforcement....most areas are 'covered' here....but I don't work 'in the country' areas.

edit: removed 'off thread topic' to keep this going. Basically 70E & what Sparky & I are commenting on.

Last edited by HotLine1; 03/12/09 10:39 PM.

John
S
well Hotone, the only sorts i found up here that i could talk to about 70E were poco linesmen. In fact i ran into an older poco liney who actually participated in it's creation.

imho, i think it's something of a crime that i, as well as so many of us, are brought into this trade without a shred of safety training, or even serve their entite carear without being introduced to it....

i can recall being on bigger HH jobs where the 'white hat' was rotated from worker to worker, yet these appointees having little to add other than a sign off list

and then add that there has to be a fatality for osha to show up. if i sound resentful of this scenario, it's because it just seems i've seen too many fall through the cracks, and leave this existence badly with my emt hat on

one tends to view the beauracracy as self serving when it doesn't serve the little guy out in the trenches

and i'm one of those little guys....

~S~

s:
Following the drift of this thread, are we talking about
NFPA 70-E (NEC) 2008, or something else?

John
S
yes HotOne, 70E, and it's history of proliferation

i have not run into any of the apprenticeship people here for a while, but if i did i'd ask if it is now considered as a must have first year manual

i believe it should be.

~S~

S:
100% agree with that; as the 'hard times' are upon us, a few of the young guys in my NEC class have $$$ issues with having text books (their own)

John
S
heh, i'm with you, and i would think we all are HotOne. yanno i used to have an ongoing debate with a one Oshadoc, a very well spoken carear Osha man.

we both wanted the same thing, but sort of came at it from different perspectives.

my stance was that you can't hammer the workforce into compliance with some ivory tower doctrine that may not ever reach those workers in the trenches

i mean, how many contractors consider safety a pita, or those who enforce it predatory because of the costs and/or potential fines?

the entire gestalt should be restructured to safety being condusive to doing business, instead of this necessary evil aura it has now

and i don't like the idea that safety, and safety related practice or education is becomming less and less economically obtainable

the insurance cabal should grant WC and liability breaks where those of us actually do seek compliance

the issuance of an apprenticeship green card should come along with a 70E copy in the mail(which the book, not the handbook cost me a paltry $35)

apprenticeship courses could squander a night explaining it as well

imho, inasmuch as there is a cost to safety, the rest of the world must acknowledge it via putting it's revenue where it's collection mouth is

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard