ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#184553 02/13/09 02:48 AM
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
The grey one with the cover painted white is at a friend’s house in the stairwell wall, I also got a shot of the nameplate.

The other one I came across while at a lighting fixture store, now I wish I had a shot of its nameplate.

Tristan S.

[Linked Image from electrical-photos.com]

Admin #184558 02/13/09 12:27 PM
If in fact the scrawl on the label '6&7 range'is current then the range is on 2-single pole cb's.

The larger panel looks like a 'Colton Electric'

John
Admin #184559 02/13/09 12:31 PM
M
That bottom one looks a lot like a Westinghouse panel at my High School. The plastic deadfront pieces between the breaker busses, the unusual breaker "fillers" (what looks like a breaker, but without a handle), and even the absence of a deadfront over the neutral buss, look like a number of panels installed when the school was built in 1962. It's interesting that the numbering of the breakers also included an A, B, or C to identify the phasing.

There must be millions of those Federal "Noark" panels all over the U.S. I find those "psychedelic" breakers (for lack of a better term) kinda neat. The operating handles were always either solid brown or black, but the breaker body was a different matter - usually white with multi-colored striations, or one piece white, and the other piece solid black or brown. Almost looks like some kind of recycled material. I have a number of thes breakers in my collection.

Mike (mamills)

Last edited by mamills; 02/13/09 12:44 PM.
mamills #184562 02/13/09 12:57 PM
Mike: (Mamills)

Colton was a local panel fab shop (UL listed) that used a lot of Westinghouse CB's, and occasionally large frame FPE.

He was one of a few that made panels to order here. Gavin Graham was another.

Yes, I remember the FPE color of the month cb's.

John
M
Hi John; Thanks for the info. Have you ever heard of a company by the name of "Powell Electrical Equipment Manufacturing Co." ? This may be a company similar to Colton - they seemed to use primarily ITE, and perhaps a few other makes. Besides panelboards and MDP's, They even built entire stage lighting switchboards, using ITE breakers and Ward-Leonard autotransformers. Pretty high quality stuff, actually.

"Color of the month CB's"...LOL

Mike (mamills)

mamills #184576 02/13/09 03:17 PM
Mike:
Hi back to you.
No, Powell Equipment I have not seen around here.

Charlie Colton passed on quite a few years back. And last time I spoke to Lou of Gavin Graham was at least 7-10 years back.

Gavin Graham fabricated a 1600 amp switchgear unit for me that the 'majors' could not provide (height issues in existing elec equip area) He did an outstanding job, even fabed custom size wireways for me. It was pricey compared to the 'major players' (SQ D; CH; GE) but well worth the $$

I have a nameplate from a Colton or GG piece that was demoed recently at a local County College; I'll get a pic soon.

John
P
Good catch on '6&7 Range' John I didn't even think of that.

I have a sense of adventure, I just keep it leashed with common sense.

Link Copied to Clipboard