ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Trumpy #184497 02/11/09 10:36 PM
Cat Servant
Marc ... good eye! You can make out the shadow!

Sprinkler codes have precedence, and are just about the only thing that can infringe upon 'working space.'

Mike ... the clamp used is intended to be used to attach a Ground wire (GEC) to the ground rod. It is NOT intended to be used to splice wires together. Our code would call for either cad-weld or a crimp connection here.

Last edited by frenchelectrican; 02/12/09 08:39 PM. Reason: fix John's spelling on one letter
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Trumpy #184530 02/12/09 02:21 PM
omg my jaw was on the floor, and that all looks new!

-Joe
“then we'll glue em' then screw em'”
-Tom Silva
TOH
JoeKP #184536 02/12/09 02:46 PM
Ghost:

"Are the double flex connectors being used because the runs are parallelled for increased ampacity? That flex doesn't look big enough to have wires that are eligible to be run in parallel."

The duplex conn are commonly used for 2 cables in 1 KO. Cables in the pics are probably 12 or 14AWG. I would hope they are NOT paralled, Bill will have to check that part.

John
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
Originally Posted by HotLine1
Bill will have to check that part.
John,

not me, BTW. This Bill is from Nevada.

Bill

Admin #184550 02/13/09 12:00 AM
L
Originally Posted by Webmaster
Originally Posted by HotLine1
Bill will have to check that part.
John,

not me, BTW. This Bill is from Nevada.

Bill

What ever! Get on it!! smile smile smile

leland #184564 02/13/09 01:02 PM
Oops. Wrong Bill I guess!

John
Trumpy #184590 02/13/09 11:22 PM
N
It looks very,very shabby,but Im with reno, not too many code issues. Open KO and cold water clamp on bare copper slice, temp. adjustments for mega j-box Workspace maybe, around here we get 8" for mounting panels on top of CT cabs, gutters ect.. All really common violations in my world at least, the fact that it looks like someone had all you can eat pasta bar and puked it up draws lots of attention to it. I bet the real badness and safety issues are behind the dead fronts and devices.

How many maintenance guys do you know that "used to be" electricians?
Trumpy #184594 02/13/09 11:33 PM
P
Good catch frenchelectrican I was just thinking too. I would have used a split bolt. I like your signature too, rather appropriate here, especially for the last picture.

I have a sense of adventure, I just keep it leashed with common sense.
Broom Pusher and
Let's get the Ranting over with first! wink

Rant Mode = Enabled.

The installation looks horrible!
It resembles the same base material found inside of Fertilizer Bags, and therefore should be rated to it's "Bandini Value" - which, in this case, is a very high Bandini Value (+95.50% Bandini Factor)

EMT is as readilly available as MC Cable and Flex (Flexible Metallic Conduit).
It does require some "Talent", so there is a challenge for installation.

In the 4th Image, the "Appears to be recently installed" Panelboard could had been fed with a short EMT section between the two Panelboards, instead of running the Flex in to the bottom.
Running the Panelboard Feeders through the sides would have eliminated the "Stand-Off for a Stand-Off Strap" issue which resulted from having to "Weave" the Flex runs. (notice how the Mini is screwed to the wall via 4" long toggle bolt!)

Where the Pull Box is used, the amount of labor + materials involved to use MC Cable + Flex between the Panelboard and Pull Box, has got to be 1000% higher than any EMT installation could possibly run!

There appears to be at least (16) MC terminations, and at least (2) Flex terminations per run, so there will be (32) MC terminations and (4) Flex terminations total.
Think about how much labor is involved here!:
* removing the sheathing,
* inserting and landing the MC Connectors,
* making up the EGCs (Equipment Grounding Conductors),
and
* "attempting" to strap / secure the MC + Flex;

whereas (2) or (3) 1" EMT runs would only have (4) or (6) termination points, (1) properly sized EGC, correctly matched Neutrals per Circuit, and no strapping needed (appears to be less than 24" between the Panelboard and the Pull Box).

Lastly, the "Recently Installed???" Panelboard's front cover looks great where the Panel is mounted _IN_ a wall, but looks like Bovine Fecal Matter when used for Surface Mounting!

OK, Ranting is over.

Rant Mode = Disabled.

There are a few Code Compliance issues to pick out, besides the obvious lack of interest with Article 110.12!
Outside of these items, the installations are Compliant.

1:] The "Avoid Contact of disimilar Metals" issue was attempted, but does not appear successful!
The Black Duct Tape "Appears" to me, intended for insulating the Aluminum Flex + Aluminum sheathing of the MC cable from the Steel Sprinkler lines.

The MC / Flex "bundles" may have a better chance at accomplishing this than the 1" Flex over the Sprinkler Head stub Tape job (First Image). The Tape should run past the Ells + Nipple to be effective.

2:] The MC Cables _SHOULD_ be supported _AND SECURED_ at maximum 6 Foot intervals, along with 12 Inches maximum at Termination points.
Not specifically defined per NEC, strapping methods could be anything that fits the definition of an acceptable means, however, the Cables would need to be _SECURED_ individually at the termination points (Panelboards and Pull Box).

3:] The Grouping of the MC cables may not Conform to NEC, per Article 330.

4:]The Flex runs _SHOULD_ be individually supported _AND SECURED_ at maximum 4-1/2 Foot intervals, along with 12 Inches maximum at termination points via an _APPROVED MEANS_.

5:] There is a possible listing issue with some of the Flex Connectors.
There are several which appear to be EMT Set Screw Connectors.
I am aware of Set Screw Flex Connectors, but a few of these look more like EMT Connectors.

6:] Article 300 mentions Cables shall not support other Cables. I see several places where this is done.

7:] K.O. seal needed in bottom of Pull Box.

8:] The use of a "Pipe Clamp" type Grounding Clamp is not listed (as far as I know) to connect (2) or more Conductors, as shown in the last Image.

Scott

Last edited by Scott35; 02/19/09 02:57 AM. Reason: fixed text wrapping issues

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
Scott35 #186314 05/03/09 07:33 PM
Broom Pusher and
EL-BUMP-O!!! smile

While Trolling this area, came across an older reply of which I was the last respondent (lack of better term...), so as to initiate the EL-BUMP-O!!! function.

Scott

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard