ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 373 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#184342 02/07/09 08:24 PM
L
I've had this conversation with various inspectors. I'm curious what the inspectors on this site think.

As an inspector,would you or do you correct minor violations on an install if the EC is not present?
Say some easy quick fixes like remove/install a bond screw,
tighten a screw on a ground bar. You know what I'm talking about you see them. Violations that are an easy quick fix, fix it and pass it or don't and fail it?

W
I'm not an inspector, but I've met my fair share, and they don't show up with tools. It's not they're job to. I have been told to fix minor things like you say, but the job was still passed. And If I have never met an inspector from a particular town, I go outa my way to meet them for the first inspection, so they know who I am, and from then on depending on the job, involved i make the decision as to be on site or not nescesary.

Lucky:

If I were to do what you are stating, not only would I be on the unemployement line, my licenses would be suspeneded.

It is the licensed electrical contractor that is supposed to 'check' his work before calling for any inspections.

Yes, that's the perfect world version of the 'rules' here, but we all know it's not a perfect world.

Yes, it bugs me to have to re-insp for stupid fail violations, but that's the reason for inspectors. IF 'minor' violations can be addressed by an electrician while I'm there, no issue..fix it before I'm leaving.

Hey Lucky....where you located...USA is a big territory?

John
G
The only time I ever actually fixed something was on a park renovation using rangers as electricians. I violated the "inspector, not an instructor" rule and spent some time with these guys. On another occasion I gave a guy a little piece of the right wire to fix a problem (had it in my car) and I have loaned out my big hammer a few times for rods, but I watched.
My job was a bit different since it was only state jobs and we really all worked for the same boss (the public). Safety wasn't compromised and it was the most efficient solution.

Greg Fretwell
L
I am just curious that's all. I was at an IAEI meeting and was talking with another inspector who stated that she fixes minor issues like a loose screw or bond screws. I told her that I just turn them down and write why on the red sticker. I figure the Electrician either doesn't know,is too busy or just missed something. If you correct the mistakes they won't "learn" from them. I still remember my very first violation and it was the only time I ever did it!

If the EC is on site I give them the opportunity to correct the issue. I have also spent a considerable amount of time with a few contractors explaining how and why to do certin things.

Hotline- Maryland ,I've added it to my profile

Last edited by luckyshadow; 02/08/09 12:02 AM.
Tom Offline
In the area I live, only a few cities provide electrical inspections, most folks have to hire a certified & licensed independent inspector. Since there are paper work requirements, someone is always present when I inspect. I do not fix anything, but I will stand there & tell you what to do (if you're not an electrician) and will hand you the tool to do it with if you don't have it.

Since I live in a rural state, I will also loan you the correct material to make things right if I have it on my truck. It can easily be a 30 to 50 mile round trip to the parts house.

And those bonding screws that were mentioned in the original post? When they are removed, I usually ask for them so I can give one to the homeowner who foolishly threw his away.

Tom

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
Lucky:
Thanks for narrowing that down.

Yes. on occasion I have had a few CEU classes at the jobsite! No credits/certificates issued thou.

John

Link Copied to Clipboard