ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 23 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#184275 02/06/09 01:28 AM
S
What is the preferred method for wiring these? I was at a house today and there was one outside. It had about a 30" cover with the wires coming out the center. They were drapped across then went down into some conduit underground and came up the wall to the alarm and disconnect. I have also seen these where they just bury the wires to the wall and plug them in. How in the world does this pass inpection?

What is the best way to get the wires out of the tub and into conduit?

Cat Servant
Best way?

The arrangement you describe is typical for indoor installations ... but not for outdoor.

Typically, an outdoor unit will have sort of junction box, as there's no way the cables will reach the panel.

"Bargain" installs will attempt to use a box of some sort in the pit. This is a poor choice, as a) the box rusts, and fills with crud; and, b) cables coming in are subject to damage, ensuring a future replacement.

"Better" installs will have a Christy box near the pit, with splices made there. The weakenss with these is that the conduit to the pit is NEVER big enough. Cables swell, and it becomes impossible to pull them out for replacement.

"Best" would be TWO handholes - one for power, one for the floats. 2" pipe would exit using a sweep from under the handhole, and enter the pit farther down. If you wanted, you could even try to seal this pipe with ductseal; I wouldn't bother.

How you get from the house to the handholes is up to you. I would -again- prefer pipe. Now, this pipe I would seal at the handhole - that swelling insulation issue again.

L
As Reno suggests.
I enlarge (or make a new) hole in the 'chimney' of the tank, 2" pvc out for the floats. Pvc from the house to the new PVC box. Too many guys just add a box in the pit and use the factory 1'. My Tummy is too weak for that.

2 ckts out there. 1- for the run/stop floats and 1- for the alarm float.

Link Copied to Clipboard