ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 331 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
If it continues to operate then you have corrected the problem. If it happens again, take it to a motor repair shop. If it is the centrifugal switch you can't fix it yourself.
You did not mention what size motor it is. If it's small, a new motor may be cheaper than a motor shop. If it's a special motor (non-Nema) then you need the motor shop or manufacturer.

S
Originally Posted by Wolfgang
Electrolytic equals DC device.

Typical motor capacitors are MetalPaper or alike and lose permanently a little bit of their capacitance. But usually isolation remains constant because of a "self-healing"(direct German English translation) mechanism until end of life.
Electrolytic were actually invented for use as a motor starting cap, and most work just fine at 60Hz.

W
Steve,

as far as I could "google" on that issue you're right for the 19th century. But I have never seen an electrolytic capacitor on an AC motor in my last 52 years, at least on this side of the pond.

Broom Pusher and

Electrolytic equals DC device.

POLARIZED Electrolytic Caps equal DC usage.

NON-POLARIZED Electrolytic Caps may be used on AC Circuits.

Start & Run Caps were typically Non-Polarized Electrolytics, as were Power Factor Correction Caps.
Now I believe there are options for "OK Caps" (Non-Polarized Electrolytics), and "Better Caps" (Polypropylene, etc.).

The last Start Capacitor I replaced - apx. 1998, was a Non-Polarized Electrolytic (the replacement item).

HID Ballast Caps were mostly all "Wet" Non-Polarized Electrolytics (pre-year 2000), but now they almost universally use "Dry Film" Caps, which I would imagine are something in the Mylar realm.

"Cheap-O" Crossover Caps are Non-Polarized Electrolytics.
Better quality X-Over Caps are Non_Polarized Polypropylene, and Mylar.

Scott

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
W
Okay, it looks like that there really is a significant difference in use, probably not due to different frequency but to single phase voltage of 230V.

I have learned something new to me.

G
A non-polarized cap is usually 2 polarized caps back to back.

Greg Fretwell
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard