ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#183896 01/25/09 10:07 PM
Hi Guys,
I am trying to put together a price for a commercial customer. They have a stable riding rink(indoor) a maintance shed and are adding electric heat to the stable. Long story short there is no basement or place on the interior of any of the structures to put a panel board. I am using a self contained 600a 1 phase meter, and was going to go with refeed 200a to riding rink, 100a to maintance, refeed 200a existing stable load center and add new 200a load center. I contacted my Square D supplier and was told they don't make a 3r enclosure. I am having a hard time with this? Any suggestions ?

Ob

Choose your customers, don't let them choose you.
Ob:
Sq D doesn't make a 3R panel?

QO342MQ200RB.....200 amp MCB, 42 circ.

Also in Homline, within the Sq D digest.

You can cross in the Grainger catalog.

John
Thanks John,
I'm sorry it is hard to be clear. I am looking for a panel board 120/240v 600a Nema 3r. Sq d only makes a 3 phase unit, as best I can tell. I find it hard to beleive this is not more common.

Ob

Cat Servant
First ... there's no reason different buildings can't have different services; you don't need to run it all through one main.

Second, you can't do that sort of service change without chatting with the power company. I wonder what they might say.

For that kind of service, you're talking about a CT, not a simple meter. This, in turn, points us toward switchgear. Let Sq D build a cabinet. The cabinets are at least 3R. They make these, to order, all the time. Breakers in the gear will feed your various other panels.

N
Looked at a old Siemens catalog & they build 600A 120/240V 1Ø switchboards in NEMA 1 & 3R as warehouse stock & am sure SQ D, C-H, & GE do likewise.

Norcal,
You so right. I contacted another supplier and got a quote today for a powerline unit. Made to order. Called the Sq D supplier and they are going to get back to me. Probably with a quote. Makes me want to do business with Eaton. Sq D can be so upity sometimes.

Thanks for your assistance!!

Phil(Ob)

N
Have you looked at CT cabs or 6 gang meter stacks with shunts and pie plates? I am sorry if I am missing somthing.

How many maintenance guys do you know that "used to be" electricians?
Hi Guys,
Got my pricing from Sq D today. All is good. The price was even a good one, within dollars of Eaton. Apparently its a fairly common probuct that is not listed in there catalog. I guess it is still special order.

Ob

J
JBD Offline
Loadcenters are simply cost reduced versions of popular panels. Because there is not much call for a 1PH 600A 3R panel I am sure SqD simply quoted you a price on a standard panelboard. (see their Digest 174 page 9-6)

Link Copied to Clipboard