ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 139 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
sparky #185196 03/05/09 08:53 PM
T
The stock market is tanking, especially GE because the details are coming out about Obama's energy tax scheme. In a nutshell coal fired power is going to be taxed massively.

Obama said [in a January 2007 interview] that the environmental policies he proposes would cause builders of new coal plants to go bankrupt. And he didn’t sound the least bit sad about the prospect…

Obama stated that;

…under my plan of a cap and trade system, electricity rates would necessarily skyrocket…whatever the plants were, whatever the industry was, they would have to retrofit their operations. That will cost money. They will pass that money on to consumers.

One provision of the ARRA is that residential electricity use is to be digitally monitored. Obviously this is setting the stage for retail use taxation.

Any such taxation would be poison to the introduction of electric vehicles.

What has me so concerned is that the rate of taxation will essentially DOUBLE the retail cost of electricity.

I'm thinking I'm going to have to find another way to make a living.

Tesla
Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
sparky #185197 03/05/09 09:08 PM
Sparky:
Does the beauracracy involve life safety upgrades? Any electrical included in the 30-40K?

"Upgrades" for various codes upon a change of occupancy are pretty standard to facilitate the 'new' use, and to clean-up what I call "sins of the past"

A CCO (continued certificate of occupancy) is required here for resi and comm/ind to determine IF there are any life safety situations/violations, and if there was any work done without permits/inspections. A check of records for any 'open' permits is also done.

IMHO, that is not bureaucratic, it is for the safety of the public.

John
HotLine1 #185206 03/05/09 10:01 PM
S
quote=HotLine1
Sparky:
Does the beauracracy involve life safety upgrades? Any electrical included in the 30-40K?

well there might be some emergeny lighting upgrades for me there,and i'm trying to talk the leasee into some T8 retrofits, as we do have a good rebate in the state of Vermont for anyone who pursues efficency.

"Upgrades" for various codes upon a change of occupancy are pretty standard to facilitate the 'new' use, and to clean-up what I call "sins of the past"
yeah i know Hotone, i can't argue with it either , it's just the demographic disparity that exists here that moves people to skip boarders ....we've lost a number of businesses that way, and subsequently jobs....

A CCO (continued certificate of occupancy) is required here for resi and comm/ind to determine IF there are any life safety situations/violations, and if there was any work done without permits/inspections. A check of records for any 'open' permits is also done.

actually, it exists here as well, i usually call the state when i'm asked, not being a nfpa101 expert

IMHO, that is not bureaucratic, it is for the safety of the public.

ok, and you and i are in the business of creating a safe electrical enviroment for people, that's why they call us

but let me ask you here, just how much are you willing to call 'existing' on a reno to be competitive in this economy?

for instance, a while ago i was solicited to do a church rewire. It's 90% original K&T

they said their insurance company required that the building is K&T free.

the magnitiude of the job, even in emt and wiremould is 5 figures, and that doesn't include the drywall/paint damage/repair

they don't have the $$$, period

but they're not 'safe' according to their insurance company

yet they are an existing installation according to the state

my advice? upgrade the service so that every single breaker is on an AFCI and ask said insurance company and the state if they'd sign off on it

~S~

edited to add , would Dave Dini & Rich Marchand be proud of me or what!

Last edited by sparky; 03/05/09 10:07 PM.
Tesla #185207 03/05/09 10:06 PM
S
Originally Posted by Tesla

I'm thinking I'm going to have to find another way to make a living.

i'm thinking of raising chickens again, yanno i had amost 100 of them strutting about at one time

and i learned to make an omlet outta almost anything, so if i can pull it off again, omlets, over easy, sunny up, wrecked on a raft, scrambled or boiled eggs are on me....

~S(i've got egg on my post!)parky~

sparky #185216 03/05/09 11:55 PM
Sparky:

I have no issues with the NJ UCC Rehab Sub-Code for existing & renov work....within the scope of the Rehab Sub-code.

As to the church....I don't think the AFCI thing is a good move with the K&T....perhaps GFI??

The guys living with "AFCI's" for a while may have experienced comments on this!

Better days are coming (I hear)

edited to correct a typo in haste

Last edited by HotLine1; 03/06/09 10:21 AM.

John
HotLine1 #185218 03/06/09 12:14 AM
S
HotLine1
Sparky:

I have no issues with the NJ UCC Rehab Sub-Code for existing & renov work....within the scope of the Rehab Sub-code.

Hotone, i have no issue with any code if it's amdinistered equally , the problems arise when a disparity in enforcement exists

As to the church....I don't think the AFCI thing is a good move with the K&T....perhaps GFI??
perhaps combo units, it's still be more economical for the powers that be to conceed to this.

The guys living with AGCI's for a while may have experienced comments on this!

i can't even google a AGCI Hotone, perhaps you meant something else? or yet again i'm last to know?

Better days are coming (I hear)

yeah, well we've all got our fingers crossed, but sorts like myself that already live the reclusive iconoclast lifestyle have seen this comming for quite some time HotOne

we live the way we do because we're aware of the system's fragility, which should be obvious to anyone with brains god gave geese by now

i'm not so worried about myself out here, i'll survive, it's the specture of all my nieghbors tanking around me that really worries me

~S~

sparky #185231 03/06/09 10:20 AM
That's what typing in a hurry causes....

Should be "AFCI" oops!!

AFCI is not required here in NJ, YET. Apparently the builders lobby was successful over the last few code cycles to have AFCI's amended OUT of the adopted NEC within the NJUCC.

AS to the sinking $$$ situation...it's getting deeper around here too.

Sorry for making you google my typo,,,,stay safe

John
HotLine1 #185233 03/06/09 11:59 AM
S
hey no skin HotOne

on the afci's, Vermont has thought they're the best thing since sliced bread for a deacade now

one can add in the area of $1000-$1500 (and that's OUR cost) to a service upgrade and/or new home filling a panel full of them

~S~

sparky #185243 03/06/09 04:57 PM
L
Would the ckts not have to be GFCI.Based on 406.3(C)(3)(c)?

K&T, must be all 2 wire receps. AfcI should not come into play unless the living quarters are attached.

Just my thought.

leland #185244 03/06/09 07:24 PM
S
probably so Leland, but it would be up to the ahj really, and s/he'd probably see it all as trying to 'sneak one by'

Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard