ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/22/24 10:36 AM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 220 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11
sparky #190933 12/11/09 09:08 PM
T
Sparky, you are absolutely correct about CDS and their impact on finance.

In effect, over-the-counter CDS permit one to place a bet on the failure of a corporation or nation -- and then go out and drive them into bankruptcy!

Such tactics were employed against both Bear Stearns and Lehman Bros.

The larger problem is that the biggest thieves ever have gained control of the system ( DTCC, SEC, FINRA, et. al. ) and are bleeding the capital markets so severely that the markets are being subverted.

Goldman Sachs is on record: they claim that they made $100,000,000 PER TRADING DAY in net profits over 90% of the time this year. Such lopsided and extreme profits are a sure sign that Goldman has a systemic advantage over the market in High Frequency Trading.

So it's no great surprise that one by one major hedge funds are withdrawing from the market, having suffered astounding losses.

////

These antics impact us in the trades because ultimately our payment money comes from the financial markets -- mortgage funding and REIT syndications.

////

The brightest opportunities seem to be the new government programs: Cash for Caulkers.

I submit that to make it we need to don a total-energy-conservation cap.

The focus must be on thermal imaging for heat loss -- at the panel/ breakers and at the walls/ joints.

EC's should pitch whole house fans -- particularly variable speed fans.

////

Another arrow in the quiver might be repairing microwaves, electric ovens and other really simple appliances.

It turns out that swapping magnetrons is pretty easy -- and is beyond the typical homeowner.

Likewise swapping out heating coils is a breeze. Since the rest of these appliances are so reliable one can largely assume that these are the problem.

////

Another electric system that is constantly getting sick is irrigation controls. The field wiring is only occasionally at fault. Much more common is connection failures due to corrosion and sticking solenoids. The occasional swap out of the master control is 'cake' work.

Most homeowners are at a loss to solve these troubles and may well dial up a hack 'handyman.'

////

Tis the season for exterior lighting. Perhaps your patrons would like a Lighting Contactor Control (LCC) that cycles the festive lighting.

////

It must be annoying when the garage light has been left on forever. Perhaps the patrons would like a smart switch with a delayed off.

Of course, intelligent switches belong all over the house -- closets come immediately to mind.

////

Some months ago I noted the credit contraction by Advanta and Citi. It now looks like this is going to be the new normal for YEARS to come.

Commercial rents are going into full reverse. Here and there I reading of property values dropping 50 to 65 percent. Such a trend has caused big work to stop.

The only market that seems to be growing is demolition and or repossession.

Tesla
Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
Tesla #190935 12/11/09 09:51 PM
Cat Servant
Tesla ... get thee to Minot.

They can't find skilled help in this oil-boom town. They're screaming for sparkies. Want more adventure? Go north ... to Edmunton. Canada has thrown the doors wide open to sparkies.

S

Sparky, you are absolutely correct about CDS and their impact on finance.

In effect, over-the-counter CDS permit one to place a bet on the failure of a corporation or nation -- and then go out and drive them into bankruptcy!

Such tactics were employed against both Bear Stearns and Lehman Bros.

true enough, there's been much on regulatory concerns over Credit Default Swaps , and really all one needs to know is they are a predatory fiscal instrument....

The larger problem is that the biggest thieves ever have gained control of the system ( DTCC, SEC, FINRA, et. al. ) and are bleeding the capital markets so severely that the markets are being subverted.

well if we look at our economy as a debt driven GDP, it starts to make sense, at least in terms of these folks running it all off the tracks....

Goldman Sachs is on record: they claim that they made $100,000,000 PER TRADING DAY in net profits over 90% of the time this year. Such lopsided and extreme profits are a sure sign that Goldman has a systemic advantage over the market in High Frequency Trading.

So it's no great surprise that one by one major hedge funds are withdrawing from the market, having suffered astounding losses.

it's no surprise these folks are arming themselves either....

////

These antics impact us in the trades because ultimately our payment money comes from the financial markets -- mortgage funding and REIT syndications.

and it gains speed as it rolls downhill, or so the old addage goes...

////

The brightest opportunities seem to be the new government programs: Cash for Caulkers.

actually there's a cash for clunker ppliance program now.

I submit that to make it we need to don a total-energy-conservation cap.

The focus must be on thermal imaging for heat loss -- at the panel/ breakers and at the walls/ joints.

EC's should pitch whole house fans -- particularly variable speed fans.

well i'll agree on energy conservation Tesla, but i'd warn that the green machine, like any legislation here, can end up being another 2000 page bill that actually greases the wrong factions who have lobbying clout

a quick real world example would be all the new energy codes foisted on an already poor housing market by limo libs out to save the world.

this just fuels disparity, fine for those of us that are in the high end market, lousy for us that wire middle class dwellings imho....

Some months ago I noted the credit contraction by Advanta and Citi. It now looks like this is going to be the new normal for YEARS to come.

Commercial rents are going into full reverse. Here and there I reading of property values dropping 50 to 65 percent. Such a trend has caused big work to stop.

the commercial 'bubble' is the next conjected to 'pop' among all the Casandra's btw....

The only market that seems to be growing is demolition and or repossession.

of course, the vultures always circle a bad economy Tesla, in fact most of them can afford to buy thier way into Congressional dealings, after all they've long ago found a way to that brass ring here

myself, i've done much reading on the green machine. IIRC, almost every trade mag there is has touched on it, as well as i've been a Home Power subscriber since the mag had a staples in leiu of a real binding

Imho, the green machine will assume momentum here , but not in the altristic sense of enviromental concern, much more on all energy ratcheting up in unison, as it usually does

People forget Jimmy Carter's fireside chat , but they don't forget that monthly fuel bill

energy retrofits? energy audits? i've advertized this with some results already

epact you say? it's already a law? well i've found it about useless without energy cops, but i sure can sign onto being an energy vigulantie....

~S~

sparky #191000 12/15/09 12:40 AM
F
I sorry guys But I have to lock this due it getting way off topic.

Merci.
Marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard