ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
F
does anyone know of an approved method of plugging the end of a pipe in a cabinet.

I have 3 pvc 4" pipes coming into a main service disconnect feeding a building. One of the pipes has a very small leak but over the last 10 years has caused corrosion on the breaker and buss bars and the unit has to be replaced. We are trying to avoid ripping up 120' of parking lot to replace one of the pipes and the additional down time to the building. I know I cant just stuff hydro lock concrete into the end but I was wondering if there is a UL listed and approved product or if we have no choice but to rip it up.

I am not on the hook for the original job in any way and I could use the extra work but the decision is up to an association of doctors and you know how they can be.

I would like to present 2 options instead of loosing the job altogether.

Hold on to your wallet...OZ Gedney has a bushing type device that is intended to seal UG conduits.

They are specific to pipe size AND conductor size, and more than likely not a stock item.

Check the OZ Gedney website.

John
This might be a very long shot, but how about the idea of using adhesive-lined heat-shrink, the heavy Raychem stuff?

Just a ball-park idea.

Cat Servant
"Code compliant" is pretty much a phantom here ... along the lines of "good workmanship."

Ductseal might work ... and is commonly used to seal pipe where condensatiohn may occur.

The packing and "chico" used in hazardous location stuff would also work .... IF you could get it in!

Otherwise, testing of various cables has shown that there is generally not an issue regarding spray foam damaging wire insulation. Maybe a squirt is in order.

BUT ... brilliant ideas aside .... what will happen when - not if, but when - the dam breaks? Do you want water to enter a quart at a time?

I'd say any patch is just that - a temporary measure until a more permanent fix can be made.

F
the spray foam thing was tried by someone in the past without success. The adjuster for the insurance co is thinking along the same lines of... a patch is temporary.
I tend to agree. We pride ourselves on doing it the right way. I think the best solution so far is the OZ Gedney conduit sealing bushings. I will call the company in the a.m. and see if application fits.

Please continue with suggestions if we have over looked an option and thanks for the replies so far.

Link Copied to Clipboard