ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 419 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
I know somebody that pushed an uncovered EPO thinking that it was the release button for a maglock door in a data center.

All the door exit buttons are red (as was the EPO switch).

The EPO had a tag above it indicating EPO SWITCH.

The person was our new CEO on a tour of the building and she got to the exit door ahead of the VP giving the tour and was going to unlock the door for him as they left the area and pushed the wrong red button.

The Premises Department had a work order generated within the hour to change all the EPO's to a covered switch.

L
Apples to Apples. No Automatic shunt required for water based systems in Data centers..

Yes DOD and such fall under different specs,unique to the application. Dictated by such specs.

As far as 'wet' sprinklers in electric rms etc. all over the place here,no shunts. Continuous bone of contention between the authorities (bldg,elec,Fire,Elev....etc.).

Yes, I have pushed the wrong button during a test. Not paying attention, Pushed the EPO instead of the abort! (Raytheon). They we're not happy.

S
We just need to specify NEMA 3R equipment racks and put a lock on the cover of the EPO switch and everyone's happy, right?

...sure, the spirit of the law is torn and shredded, and all that money on sprinklers and EPO buttons is wasted on systems just rendered completely ineffective and that will not save the building in a fire or a person if he/she is being shocked, but it's the letter of the law that counts in court, right?

As a side note, I'm frequently surprised that we will put big gaudily marked covers on EPOs to prevent inadvertant trip, yet leave all those breaker handles sticking out from the face of the switchgear where anyone can bump them and pretty much do the same thing.

L
Switch gear should only be accessible to 'Authorized persons' Not the general public. Besides,It takes more than a bump to open those breakers.

3R equipment? No, That's why you go with the Pre-Action sprinklers, Double interlocked. (2 alarms needed- 1-heat detector and low air- before water flows) First alarm,Occupants evacuate as required by law,The fire dept arrives and the 'trained pros take over.
Heats in Data centers are usually 135Df (rate of rise),Sprinkler heads are at 165Df (fixed).

I recommend a Gas system as first defense,Then the sprinkler will not activate until after discharge of the gas (Plus it keeps me working)

Locks on EPO, Never saw that, kinda defeats the purpose.

F
Off topic a little bit. But when we are working with a clean agent system, both of us check to make sure the system is disarmed and when we are done, both of us make sure the system is armed. I have been known to make sure it is disarmed, my helper does and then I may check again.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard